OPossum and chickens?

Chickenluv22

In the Brooder
Nov 30, 2018
USA
Hi I just started BYC. I have a medium sized flock of mixed birds and a rooster who at night go in the coop locked up. Within the last few months I've seen possums around my house and my chicken coop. In the snow here I saw some star shaped footprints and I matched them to possum feet on the Internet. The possum tracks go about 10 feet away from my chicken coop, no closer. Should I be worried though? Also I set up a trap with an egg and a few slices of apple in it so maybe I could relocate the possum. What are some other things the possum would eat in the trap? Thanks! :)

Welcome to BYC!
:yesss:We are glad you joined our flock!

Opossum kill chickens for fun. Double check that your coop is secure to keep them out of it.
Good luck on trapping it.
This video will help you learn how to navigate this site:

Coop Ideas:
Chicken Coops
BYC has an APP

Welcome to Backyard Chickens!:welcomeWe are glad you joined the flock! BYC is a helpful site providing all of the information you need to know about poultry! There is always space for more members on the BYC roost!:highfive: Please don't leave any open holes in your chicken coop or possums will squeeze through. Hope you enjoy it here as much as we all do!

Bait you trap with meat. Wire a raw piece of chicken in the back. Dispatch any possum you trap. Relocating these nasty vermin just move your problem onto someone else.
You could use tuna. Be prepared to catch other things in your trap, racoon, skunk, neighbors cat, your cat....
Glad you joined us!
Welcome to the backyard!

Bait you trap with meat. Wire a raw piece of chicken in the back. Dispatch any possum you trap. Relocating these nasty vermin just move your problem onto someone else.
You could use tuna. Be prepared to catch other things in your trap, racoon, skunk, neighbors cat, your cat....
Glad you joined us!
Welcome to the backyard!

Ditto!

If you are set on relocating, make sure it's legal to do so in your area.

Possums can hurt or kill chickens but it's not as likely as other predators. I know some people prefer to keep them around because of some of the benefits possums have. I tend to relocated them to an unpopulated area. When Relocating a possum be as far away as possible from a horse farm. Possums have been known to spread disease to horses through urine and/or feces in the horse feed supply. I relocate animals that are not likely to spread rabies. Some do not approve of the practice but others do not approve of killing them either. can't please everyone so do what you feel is best for you.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom