• catch it and set it free far away

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

animallover2202

Songster
7 Years
Aug 25, 2012
Buck Creek IN
i have an opossum thats scaring my chickens and I'm scared that its going to attack my chickens how do i catch it and do i have the rights to shot it??

Last edited:
ok my little sisters friend said she seen it close to my dog hissing and then she said she seen it close to my chickens and the her brother said he beat it with a stick (i haven't seen it) but I'm worried because our chickens will lay anywhere they want and i think the eggs drew the opossum close or some thing

I've had several possums near all of my flocks. They've yet to bother anyone. However, I hear on here often people losing their flocks to them. You would have the right to shoot the animal if it is endangering your fowl. If you do choose to catch it and plan to release please check with your Local Fish and Game to see their policies on releasing in your area. They may even pick him to release him for you.

If you are confinedent in your coop and the birds roost up and away from where oppossum can reach, then critter is of no consequence. Living such a critter might make you lax when a more problematic raccoon visits. Either make certain your housing is very varmint resistant or adopt habit of dispatching. I keep livestrap out at all times because the real troublemakers often visit a couple nights running before they get into your birds. They are often attracted to sweet smell of uneaten feed,

I had over 20 possums and 20 coons that I caught in a years time. Just started catching them after I set the trap for a groundhog. They never bothered my chickens in the 2-3 years I had the hens,BUT I know they could so I got rid of them.The risk of harm to the flock AND the overload of all that parasite filled feces in my yard made it any easy choice.

Relocation is a hassle and you could get fined if someone makes the efforts to report/find you.It is a risk but some take it.BTDT myself.Best wishes whatever you decide.

Personally, i wouldn't take any chances. We had a possum hanging about our yard last year. Kept chasing it off. Then came out one morning to find it tangled in the aviary netting over a coop on our back porch. My husband dispatched it with a pellet gun. i always thought we would hear if there was a predator in our yard, since the pens are right off the back of our house, and we keep our windows open at night. But we never heard any commotion, and our goats were just standing there quietly watching it.

Back
Top Bottom