oppinions on cochins and marans

Quote:
Actually, splash is the random one. Mottling is having white tipping on each, or at least every 4-5 feathers.

These are quite definitely splash birds.

Splash should have random dark feathers, no white feathers unless they are washed out. I didn't realize there was a 'number' for the amount of mottling on them, but I do know the difference
smile.png

Splash:
DSC00321.jpg

Mottled:
PICT0225.jpg

big_smile.png

Quote:
They look good for 5 months old, my BCM didn't have much of a tail at all til at least 6 months old.

The blue's tail seems to be a bit high, I think it's supposed to be lower? But I agree, worry about egg color first then work on improving your lines
smile.png

so my cochins splash is washed out ?
Quote:
Actually, splash is the random one. Mottling is having white tipping on each, or at least every 4-5 feathers.

These are quite definitely splash birds.

Splash should have random dark feathers, no white feathers unless they are washed out. I didn't realize there was a 'number' for the amount of mottling on them, but I do know the difference
smile.png

Splash:
http://i461.photobucket.com/albums/qq337/shelleyd2008/chickens/show birds/DSC00321.jpg

Mottled:
http://i461.photobucket.com/albums/qq337/shelleyd2008/chickens/PICT0225.jpg

big_smile.png

Quote:
They look good for 5 months old, my BCM didn't have much of a tail at all til at least 6 months old.

The blue's tail seems to be a bit high, I think it's supposed to be lower? But I agree, worry about egg color first then work on improving your lines
smile.png

Illia, Why would you worry more about the egg color than the Marans TYPE. Thats what has got the Marans in the mess they are in at present. I can Guarantee you that the APA could care less what color egg they lay. I realize the egg color is important but so is the Marans type. Don

Marans type? Egg color? Importance is in the eye of the beholder. If I could select mine to loook like a hypoth. Black Copper Junglefowl I would. No sense to me to feed a dual purpose bird who persorms a single purpose of laying dark eggs. Just me maybe.

Last edited:
Quote:

smile.png

Illia, Why would you worry more about the egg color than the Marans TYPE. Thats what has got the Marans in the mess they are in at present. I can Guarantee you that the APA could care less what color egg they lay. I realize the egg color is important but so is the Marans type. Don

If you remember the short little Marans thread argument about egg color vs. type, I was one of the APA standards/Marans type pushers, not the egg color pushers.
wink.png

I agree whole-heartedly, Marans are in a huge mess because of the pursuit for pretty eggs. . . However, if your birds have terrible egg color, I think that really is an importance. Otherwise, to me, you just don't have a French Marans. And by horrible I do mean a lot of the BBS stock out there. . . I've seen so many with egg color that barely passes.

Course, it is indeed all up to the owner's tastes. I love good, dark egg color, but I also of course am very picky about my birds as well. I think the question to ask is - Does the OP want pretty eggs, or is the OP more interested in getting Marans that are up to the standards? Because if you want both with BBS birds, I'd say A) choose a new color or B) get some new blood in there.

If it were up to me, though, and I had those birds and none others. . . I'd pair the black pullet with the blue cockerel, no matter what egg color is involved here. I just am not a fan of underweight, squirrel tailed, or generally lanky birds, sorry.
hide.gif

I would like to add that any marans that lays a four or better deserves equal standing in the breeding shed. and is not a detriment to the breed. Of course, we all want those sevens and better. In my own breeding pen, those darker eggs are laid by uglier birds generally. My blue roo is closest to the standard, tail angle, large broad, strong legs, gentle personality. Right now i have him in a pen over copper black pullets hatched from my very darkest eggs last year. Hoping when laying picks up to get somebigger, broader birds, with fewer faults. I may end up instead with smaller birds, more white faults, and lighter eggs. You never know until you try.

Back
Top Bottom