Opposing humidity instructions-not sure which to follow?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Pearce Pastures, Dec 4, 2012.

1. Pearce Pastures

Pearce Pastures Chirping

Dec 27, 2011
    Wanatah, Indiana
    Thanks a bunch all! I am all set to put the eggs in. [​IMG]

2. Pearce Pastures

Pearce Pastures Chirping

Dec 27, 2011
    Wanatah, Indiana
    Just an update. I am liking this incubator. The temp is at a very stable 99.5 and the humidity is staying right around 40% without much help. When it dipped under 35%, I took out one of my coffee stirrer straw (the really skinny ones), a mug of warm, clean water and drew some water into the straw (finger over one end style). Then I quickly opened one red plug, slide the straw in, and put in a few splashes on the floor. Came back to 40 pretty quickly and no temperature loss. :)

3. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

you may want to run it with one or two of the red plugs out to get a good oxygen exchange. just add the plug (s) on day 18 for lock down.

4. chicken pickin

chicken pickin Crowing

Mar 3, 2012
    x2 My incubator only has one red plug but I leave it out, and I will put it back in on day 18.

5. Pearce Pastures

Pearce Pastures Chirping

Dec 27, 2011
    Wanatah, Indiana
    Never considered that. When were playing with it prior to setting, we experimented a bit over a weeks time with water/no water, one plug in/no plugs/both plugs. Does it make it harder to keep the temp and humidity stable without the plugs? Our air is very dry right now. I suppose I could add more water than I have been with the straw.

Also, what is the float test thing that I have seen in a few threads?

6. mstricer

mstricer Crowing

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Yes I usually leave one plug in and in the other hole I have one of these [​IMG]

7. mstricer

mstricer Crowing

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    These don't read humidity below 26%
    [​IMG]

8. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

if you mean float testing eggs - its a last resort thing before you drop your late hatching eggs in a zip lock bag for an ovatopsy. just candle at 10 and 18 days if you have the self control.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: