Oral thrush vs canker?

RumneyRoost

Songster
Jul 24, 2018
Ontario
I have a 4yo Speckled Sussex hen who has had awful breath for a few weeks now. Crop functioning normally. Still has an appetite, but is uncomfortable eating and is producing a lot of saliva.
Inside her mouth she has white/creamy coloured lesions. I've tried treating with miconazole/clotrimazole/fluzonazole with no success. Took her to the vet last weekend (he wasn't very helpful). He gave her an injectable long acting antibiotic which hasn't helped.
I called and left a message this morning that there is no improvement, but haven't heard back.

I'm in Canada (Ontario), so it's difficult to get any meds without a prescription. I was able to order ronidazole for racing pigeons from Australia, who knows when it will get here though.

Tried to take some pictures.

Any thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_8188.jpg
    IMG_8188.jpg
    278.1 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_8189.jpg
    IMG_8189.jpg
    283.3 KB · Views: 42
Didn't the vet take a sample to examine and determine what it is?

Does her smell appear foul and sweet at the same time? If so, this would be caused by trichomona and the Ronidazole will do the trick.

https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poultry/trichomonosis/trichomonosis?query=trichomonas gallinae
No, like I said, not very helpful. I use their practice for my other animals, another vet at the practice did crop surgery for me last year. First time seeing this particular vet, unfortunately he's the semi-retired owner and the staff love him and think he's great with chickens :rolleyes:

I wouldn't say that it smells sweet at all. I do think it's probably thrush/yeast. I've got a call back in to the clinic, hoping they'll just give me a prescription for Nystatin.

No, like I said, not very helpful. I use their practice for my other animals, another vet at the practice did crop surgery for me last year. First time seeing this particular vet, unfortunately he's the semi-retired owner and the staff love him and think he's great with chickens :rolleyes:

I wouldn't say that it smells sweet at all. I do think it's probably thrush/yeast. I've got a call back in to the clinic, hoping they'll just give me a prescription for Nystatin.
You could do a swab yourself and have it analyzed.

You could do a swab yourself and have it analyzed.
I'm not aware of any labs here that accept samples unless they're sent from a vet. Other than regular fecals, and those would be done in house at the vet clinic.
Ugh, I'll just keep calling and bugging this vet. Seems silly that something that should realistically be easy to treat may end up fatal since so many vets aren't interested in treating poultry. If it had been my dog she would have been able to get an immediate appt with all the diagnostics.

I cured a thrush with topic application of blue cote, carefully dosed, and probiotics. Also Nistat .
If Canker beside topic iodine Flagil often to be rotate with a different brand, cinnamon . probiotics,
Both cases potassium permanate or copper sulfate in general water to dring for a week, also to avoid spreading to others, very easy.

Back
Top Bottom