Oral thrush??

I don’t believe in treating chickens who do not show symptoms. Here is some info on dosage:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/medistatin-nystatin-dose.1211995/

In link it says to mix 1 gram (about 1/4 tsp) in 20 ml of water, and give 1 ml for every 100 grams of weight.
https://allbirdproducts.com/products/medistatin
Also her breathing breathing sounds worse like she repeals says ah ah one other chicken also does that a Buff Orpington but she’s like way heavier and a bit fatter but not repeatedly like the welsummer could it be the heat it has increased since the day I posted the thread. Or is it bothering her the lesions? But they haven’t increased by much.

Candida albicans and thrush are the same thing, and that is a fungal infection, not bacterial. Canker, which it sounds like it is, is a protozoa. The Fish Zole (metronidazole) dosage is 50 mg per pound of weight, or 250mg for a 5 pound chicken. Give it once a day for 5 days.
Bought both one is coming later since the order is pending fullfilment from Walmart Petrx since the only way I could find fishzole. Also I didn’t smell the day before but one day I smelled it and it smelled bad but the next I didn’t smell nothing

Candida albicans and thrush are the same thing, and that is a fungal infection, not bacterial. Canker, which it sounds like it is, is a protozoa. The Fish Zole (metronidazole) dosage is 50 mg per pound of weight, or 250mg for a 5 pound chicken. Give it once a day for 5 days.
For how many days should medistatin be given for?

Okay don’t think the lesions are the problem to her ah ahs think it’s the heat took her in she’s only gaping a little bit no heavy breathing.

Can you get your vet to test it for thrush or canker. Since it sounds like there has been pox in the area of the chickens, it could still be wet pox. Those 3 things are all possible, but as I said in your other thread, canker is said to have a bad odor. Thrush, candida, or yeast is a fungus and is treated with antifungal medicines. Nystatin or Medistatin powder can be found online. I don’t know if the antifungal creams (Monistat, clotrimazole, miconazole) will help, but might. There is no cure for wet pox, and it will eventually go away. You have the info on canker from your other thread.
She hasn’t ate anything her crop is flat she pooped only water no brown stuff clear liquid.

The moment I gave her water she pooped clear liquid nothing in it fed her a bit she poop liquid with chunks in it.

For how many days should medistatin be given for?
Twice a day for 7 days for fungal infection of the mouth and beak. I have treated yeast or thrush in humans, and to my knowledge, there is not the bad odor seen in canker. You may need to try different foods, including the moist feed, scrambled egg, canned tuna, and I have used canned cat food as well to tempt eating. Canker can enter the esophagus and into the crop wall. Please consult a vet to confirm your diagnosis if possible.

Twice a day for 7 days for fungal infection of the mouth and beak. I have treated yeast or thrush in humans, and to my knowledge, there is not the bad odor seen in canker. You may need to try different foods, including the moist feed, scrambled egg, canned tuna, and I have used canned cat food as well to tempt eating. Canker can enter the esophagus and into the crop wall. Please consult a vet to confirm your diagnosis if possible.
Called vets to see if they can test them they don’t know crap about chickens looked at every hens mouth they have small lesions like hers less and smaller so i might edge it to canker since from what I have been reading and it spreads from sharing water and since we have been giving Greek yogurt once every few days from the same spoon since they mix it up and seem my other flock has some too. Luckily I ordered the 60 pack fishzole packets. Some thing I realized bird get inside my hens house when they are out.

Back
Top Bottom