Oral treatment for mites

amandadvd

Chirping
Apr 14, 2020
Does anyone have a suggestion for something I can put in my chickens water to help with mites? We are beyond garlic or other natural remedies and I have too many chickens to treat one by one. I will be cleaning the coop, spraying, and placing down new bedding but I need a very quick fix and something manageable. I have read about Ivermectin and Tylosin but hoping someone with experience can help. Thank you

GOT IT OFLINE!

• Add a splash of apple cider vinegar to your chickens’ water supply. Apple cider vinegar doesn’t do much to drive away mites, but it does help your chickens stay hydrated and boost nutrition while you’re fighting off the mites. Feeding your chickens strong-smelling herbs and spices like garlic, mint, rosemary, and onions.
morningchores.com/chicken-mites/

I don't know of anything you can put in the birds water for mites. Permethrin is my go to treatment for pests. You need to treat weekly for 3 or 4 weeks to kill any mites as they hatch out. I also use poultry dust in my nest boxes. Good luck...
casportponyPermethrinChartRev.jpg

Attachments

• PermethrinSprayR.jpg
    PermethrinSprayR.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 12
  • PoultryDust.jpg
    PoultryDust.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 11
  • MartinsPen&PoultrySpray.jpg
    MartinsPen&PoultrySpray.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 12
Our vet recommend 3-4 cycles of ivermectin drench in water. Instead We decided we’d treat vents and under wings with applicator dispensed DE nightly while birds were roosted. We did this for 3 mite cycles and we are completely mite free. We were dealing with northern foul mite that typically live their lives on the bird, not in cracks or crevices of the coop environment. Time was about 15 seconds per bird nightly. We used a Harris garden puffer. I kept records because everyone said to use poultry dust/permethrin. The DE applicator worked and allowed us to keep the dust application specific, no extra dust flying around. We’ve been mite free for a month.

Our vet recommend 3-4 cycles of ivermectin drench in water. Instead We decided we’d treat vents and under wings with applicator dispensed DE nightly while birds were roosted. We did this for 3 mite cycles and we are completely mite free. We were dealing with northern foul mite that typically live their lives on the bird, not in cracks or crevices of the coop environment. Time was about 15 seconds per bird nightly. We used a Harris garden puffer. I kept records because everyone said to use poultry dust/permethrin. The DE applicator worked and allowed us to keep the dust application specific, no extra dust flying around. We’ve been mite free for a month.
And there is no egg withdrawal time for DE as opposed to ivermectin or permethrin! Bonus! No respiratory issues with our birds.

There's no egg withdrawal time for permethrin in the USA! And Ivermectin works great, with no approval for chickens, so egg withdrawal time is actually 'forever'. DE fails at most applications, and is dangerous to inhale, and is strip mined, not good.
Mary

There's no egg withdrawal time for permethrin in the USA! And Ivermectin works great, with no approval for chickens, so egg withdrawal time is actually 'forever'. DE fails at most applications, and is dangerous to inhale, and is strip mined, not good.
Mary
Our vet recommended 3 weeks egg withdrawal after ivermectin. Permethrin dust is dangerous to inhale as well and has been shown to cause reproductive issues in males. I was offering a solution that worked perfectly for us, the DE completely rid our birds of Northern Foul Mite. There’s almost always a trade off with any solution we choose.

Back
Top Bottom