1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

orange comb and wattles

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by dealeduo, Mar 25, 2009.

1. dealeduo

dealeduo New Egg

Apr 29, 2008
    :/One of our hens went from red to orange.Is this a problem?

2. MoodyChicken

MoodyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    Quickly, or over a few days? Chickens, especially males, flush their faces from red to pale red or red orange. They do that in response to temperature, or if they're relaxing or sunbathing. Males may be pale while relaxing and then flush their faces red instantaneously for a dance. If it happened over time, she may have stopped laying, she may be using pigments for egg production and can't stay as red any longer, or she's old or sick.

3. dealeduo

dealeduo New Egg

Apr 29, 2008
    We are seniors, new to chickens.We have Dominiques . There are7 hens and 1 rooster.They were hatched last May. This winter the comb and wattles on one changed from red to orange.They are wonderful and very entertaining.Everyone seems fine {except one that they pick on_ not the orange one}.We get 4 to 6 eggs every day. Should we be worried about this color change?

4. MoodyChicken

MoodyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    I don't think it's anything to worry about. There are a few diseases that cause a pale face, but as long as your birds are acting perky they should be just fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by