Orange Possum

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by FlockOForbes, Mar 20, 2013.

1. FlockOForbes

FlockOForbes Out Of The Brooder

Oct 19, 2012
    Smithfield, VA
    We are new chicken owners and I have been very worried about night attacks from predators even though we keep the girls in a closed coop each night. [​IMG]Our house is on stilts and our living area is on the second floor with a large deck around the full length of the back of my house with no stairs down to the ground. I couldn't sleep and woke up around 2:30 am to fetch a drink of water. When I passed the sliding glass door I saw something on the ground in my back yard moving. A closer inspection yielded a large possum grazing on something just below my deck. We do not own guns (just moved to the country) and the only thing my husband had was a paintball gun. He retrieved the paintball gun from the garage and went out on the deck to take aim.....the first shot hit the possum in the side and stunned him, followed by about 10 more shots which resulted in the possum running away.[​IMG] Needless to say, we have a orange possum running around our neck of the woods [​IMG]

2. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    He will be back. I kick harder than your paint ball gun and they still come back.

3. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    A few good swats with a rolled up news paper or GOOD HOUSEKEEPING magazine will result in Mr. Possum playing possum. You can then pick him or her up by their prehensile tail and your children could even take a possum to show and tell as long as it is in this sulled condition.

Don't take this the wrong way but it sounds to me like most people posting here are more afraid of possums than possums are afraid of the people posting here. This can't end well for your chickens. [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 21, 2013
  4. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Assessment is accurate.

5. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Quote: It's illegal to possess or transport wildlife without a permit.
    It's also foolish to handle wild animals

If the possum is a threat, kill it.
    Otherwise, leave it alone

Last edited: Mar 20, 2013
  6. shelbydog

shelbydog Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2012
    Bristow, ok
    Watch this one

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by