Orange Tabby...He Stays and His Name is Finn (Update with Videos Dec 31)

I *think* you can get a four way shot at tractor supply for cats that has FeLV, distemper, FIV, and Feline Calicivirus. Last time I was there and checked them out, they were about $10. If you felt comfortable giving a shot yourself, that may be an option. Unfortunately, in most states, rabies still has to be given by a vet (PA is different though and you can order it yourself, not sure about other states)

I will be feeding him something with a meat as first ingredient, not corn (wth is wrong with these folks, producing corn products for cats??).

The first food we hastily grabbed when he showed up was a basic off-brand with low level ingredients, but I didn't know if he'd stay and that's all they had at Dollar General, the closest store. He showed such instant recognition of a bagged food, that I figured that was what he had been eating wherever he came from so I'm going to stick with that. The closest Walmart had only one bagged cat food with a meat as first listed ingredient, an Iams brand with chicken, and made for cats 1-6 years old so he started a bag of that yesterday, with the other mixed in to transition him.

Made an insulated curtain for the back escape hatch which also covers the compartment under the floor where the heating pad will go. Have to find another heating pad without the auto-off feature, though. We're attaching a velcro strip so it can be removed for washing, if need be.

Finn's little house is looking good! Love the idea of 'radiant heating' for an outdoor cat. Nice work on the curtain.

Someone was just here to see if Finn was her cat. Nope, didn't have a defining scar on the ear that hers did.

His house is finished other than paint (will have to wait till spring, probably) and the heating pad sure makes the floor nice and comfy.

Someone was just here to see if Finn was her cat. Nope, didn't have a defining scar on the ear that hers did. His house is finished other than paint (will have to wait till spring, probably) and the heating pad sure makes the floor nice and comfy.
So cute! I love it. I am glad Finn gets to be with you guys.

I almost forgot to wish Tom a happy veterans day. I used to send cards to my brothers but I forget a lot these day's.

Perhaps the Vet can or the HS knows someone who will donate money for Finns tests and shots. The Coalition always does these tests.

sending you a PM.

Congrats to you for adopting this handsome boy.
I didn't read all the posts - and this may have already been discussed - but for the heating pad, have you considered a Thermo-Cube? It's a 2 outlet plug that turns the power on at 32* and off at 45*. I use one for my barn cat's bed and for the birdbath water heater that keeps the chickens's water thawed.

Congrats to you for adopting this handsome boy.
I didn't read all the posts - and this may have already been discussed - but for the heating pad, have you considered a Thermo-Cube? It's a 2 outlet plug that turns the power on at 32* and off at 45*. I use one for my barn cat's bed and for the birdbath water heater that keeps the chickens's water thawed.

No, though I know about them. Would have to see if money allows for it. Right now, I'm prepping the coops for winter as well.

The heating pad works beautifully! The only thing is we'd have to repeatedly turn it back on with the auto-off feature it has. I may find another at a thrift store. I have one somewhere but can't find it. One is already working as water defroster in a coop (on concrete block, covered, with waterer on top, turned on low, works great).

Finn balked at going into the new house last night so we gave him back the pet carrier. Tom made the opening much larger in case that was the issue. Tonight we have to catch him and corral him B4 midnight for his procedure tomorrow morning. I guess I'll have to listen to him meow all night since we'll probably bring him inside.

Back
Top Bottom