Orange Tabby...He Stays and His Name is Finn (Update with Videos Dec 31)

I found a wound on his side, a puncture that looked like it was getting infected and that I am now treating. If it gets bad, I guess I'll have to get more antibiotics for him, but he cannot live on meds like that. He's not been outside since that last fight and has been using the litter box against his will, LOL.

If it looks like it's getting infected I would probably put him on antibiotics anyway just in case just to be safe but that's just me. If he's been inside, hopefully he won't need any antibiotics after that if you catch the other cat. That's great he's been staying inside though!

Oh, that puncture wound? At first, it seemed to be a tiny puncture, but it enlarged and he kept licking it and the more we looked, the more it appeared to be that he had been shot with a BB gun. We immediately began treating him with antibiotics, had a 500 mg capsule of amoxicillin that we divided up into 10 increments and gave it to him once a day in wet food, plus used a combination of Vetericyn and triple antibiotic ointment right down in the hole. Now, he's completely healed and feisty as ever. Plus, he's getting more used to staying inside at night and going out in the daytime, using the litter box, etc. He'll get in less trouble in the day than at night. He yowled and kept Tom up all night for days on end at the beginning, but he's doing that less and less now, getting into a new habit, though he'll never really be an inside cat. I never spent the $50 to buy a trap, have not heard or seen another cat around here lately.

The wound at the beginning of treatment. It's 100% closed now. Not sure if he has a BB in there. If it's just copper, it shouldn't hurt anything and may just be forming scar tissue. We'll watch for any signs of issue, but he never showed any infection there. I have zero idea who shot him; could be he and another cat were fighting and someone just shot at them to stop it. Doesn't make me feel very good that someone shot my cat. I personally wouldn't shoot a cat unless it was causing trouble. He only mouses, won't hurt chickens certainly. I'm sure other cats are killing rodents around here, too, which is fine with me. I just don't want them hurting my cat on his own property or spreading disease. At least I know my own cat has his shots current.

Attachments

• DSC02265.JPG
    DSC02265.JPG
    355.3 KB · Views: 2
  • DSC02266.JPG
    DSC02266.JPG
    191.2 KB · Views: 2
Sorry someone shot him :/

That's great he healed up and that he's adapting to inside life though!!

And maybe you haven't heard the other cat cause he only comes by or only fights Finn at night? Maybe keeping him inside at night will keep him away or at least not fighting Finn. :D

That does look like Finn was hit with a BB Cyn. Glad to see it's healing up, poor guy.

I think you're doing the right thing keeping him in at night, that should help with the chances of future injuries...good thing he's adjusting to the litter box!

That does look like Finn was hit with a BB Cyn. Glad to see it's healing up, poor guy.

I think you're doing the right thing keeping him in at night, that should help with the chances of future injuries...good thing he's adjusting to the litter box!

Strangely enough, he'll be in and out all during the day, yet come in to use the litter box. Silly boy.

They've had only one fight during daylight hours as far as I know, so most of the drama takes place at night. Plus, predators are more likely to get Finn in the dark as well.

That makes sense! We don't let ours out at night either. But she's tiny and female and she's also long haired so gets tangled. So we actually don't really let her out at all anymore even during the day but still. We don't really have other cats around but do have predators.

Strangely enough, he'll be in and out all during the day, yet come in to use the litter box. Silly boy.

LOL funny

I had a Collie dog (really thick hair!) that was attacked by another dog, right on our front porch. He was caught off guard and never made a sound - we just heard loud thumping and finally went to see what the noise was. The other dog ran off but poor Spirit was covered in dog spit. And then we found the puncture holes - all over him - looked just like the picture you posted. Even with vet and antibiotic treatment, they all became infected and the skin turned black and sloughed off in places. He was a mess. Sounds like you did a good job but be sure to keep an eye on it.

I had a Collie dog (really thick hair!) that was attacked by another dog, right on our front porch. He was caught off guard and never made a sound - we just heard loud thumping and finally went to see what the noise was. The other dog ran off but poor Spirit was covered in dog spit. And then we found the puncture holes - all over him - looked just like the picture you posted. Even with vet and antibiotic treatment, they all became infected and the skin turned black and sloughed off in places. He was a mess. Sounds like you did a good job but be sure to keep an eye on it.

I'm sorry I missed this post, Robin. I think it was a BB because I see no other punctures on him, but yes, we're watching it and checking it regularly. Your poor dog!

Back
Top Bottom