Orange Tabby...He Stays and His Name is Finn (Update with Videos Dec 31)

Goodness, that's awful. We have another vet's office we used to use that is good, but generally, was much more expensive. I guess we'll have to go there. When we use the Terramycin ointment in his ulcerated eye, he seems to keep it open a lot more, as if it is soothing. At least we can do that for him. Poor sweet kitty.

We called the vet's office we started at 20 years ago and the first ones to see Finn when he wandered up here. We stopped going because their fees were skyrocketing and it was harder to get appointments, etc. They didn't have an appt until Oct 19 and if we wanted to come sit and wait and be squeezed in, they were going to charge an extra $90 over the regular visit and meds price. Not very appreciative of that. We made the appt, however we are going to look for other recommendations in this area. They have a couple of really great vets in that office, one who was my dogs' vet and was the first to see Finn, however it's not those two women who are the issue. That's why we quit going when all Finn needed were his regular shots. He may lose his vision anyway, but we have to try to get someone else on the case before we give up on trying to fix it. And it's not small decision because suddenly, we need a new roof, apparently, though it was replaced just ten years ago (shoddy work, didn't know what the heck they were doing-post-house fire, restoration company put their own inept contractor on the job and we had no choice). Great timing, eh?

We remembered another vet's office in town, the one associated with the feed store next to it. They assigned the oldest and most experienced vet in the office, the actual owner of the store, to Finn. And we can get in on Tuesday so we canceled the other appointment.
I don't know why I didn't remember that office. I bought my current younger group of chicks from them because they were the only feed store in the area that did not vax for Marek's Disease. He may tell us that there isn't anything they can do for him, but we had to try one more time and get a second opinion (which is what the last one was supposed to be doing and calling us back, but didn't).

We remembered another vet's office in town, the one associated with the feed store next to it. They assigned the oldest and most experienced vet in the office, the actual owner of the store, to Finn. And we can get in on Tuesday so we canceled the other appointment.
I don't know why I didn't remember that office. I bought my current younger group of chicks from them because they were the only feed store in the area that did not vax for Marek's Disease. He may tell us that there isn't anything they can do for him, but we had to try one more time and get a second opinion (which is what the last one was supposed to be doing and calling us back, but didn't).

Good luck, I hope they can help Finn :fl

Saddens me to see him run into things and use his whiskers to feel his way, which is, of course, part of their function, to make sure they don't get stuck in too tight places. He's such a sweet cat, doesn't deserve this. He's about 9 1/2 years old now, not sure where that leaves him as a feline...middle age? Older? I guess they say life expectancy depends on whether they are indoor or outdoor cats. He's been half and half, but now, he can't really hunt because he can barely see.

Saddens me to see him run into things and use his whiskers to feel his way, which is, of course, part of their function, to make sure they don't get stuck in too tight places. He's such a sweet cat, doesn't deserve this. He's about 9 1/2 years old now, not sure where that leaves him as a feline...middle age? Older? I guess they say life expectancy depends on whether they are indoor or outdoor cats. He's been half and half, but now, he can't really hunt because he can barely see.

There are several of these charts on the web, but they mostly agree on these ages:

Screen Shot 2022-10-07 at 7.16.19 AM.png

No, he hasn't named him. He still wants to find him another home, he says. I say, we need a mouser, he showed up, all chicken-friendly and everything, so don't look a gift cat in the mouth!
old.gif

ETA: I was sort of thinking "Finn" for Huckleberry Finn, a classic vagabond, but we shall see if he becomes permanent.

This is a self professed cat hater:

These photos say it all. :love He will keep the .mouse population down. The cat.....

Back
Top Bottom