Ordered my 1st chicks!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Jeanette01, Sep 15, 2015.

1. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Flock Master

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    I found that it did take a couple of days to train my babies to the cave.

2. Jeanette01

Jeanette01 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 2, 2015
    California
    Awh.. Adorable, MonicainAZ!!

Last edited: Sep 16, 2015
  3. Jeanette01

Sep 2, 2015
    California
    Ok Blooie, I'm not going to lie, right when I saw the title that said Brood Chick OUTDOORS I thought, ut-uh.. No way no how!! Not gonna do it!![​IMG]
    Then I start reading, and reading, and looking at your pictures, and reading some more..[​IMG]

I have to say, I absolutely LOVE the idea of outdoor brooding!! Especially the fact that you have your brooder right next to the big girls and they can see them all the time.. I am definitely going to have to incorporate a brooder next to my coop with my 2nd round of chicks!! (and I can already hear my other half sighing that I am asking him to build more for me.. [​IMG] )

Ok, 2 weeks, can you take any longer?!?!

4. ninjawesome

ninjawesome Currently being awesome Premium Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Wild, Wild West
    Welcome to BYC!

5. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    [​IMG] Hence the reason I stipulate "courage" as the first requirement for doing this! But it works, I swear to you, and this lady will never EVER raise chicks in the house with a heat lamp again. I'd rather skip having chicks altogether than go back to that!

6. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Flock Master

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Ditto what she said. However, I will state that my personal style is to use the heating pad in the house for a couple of days till they get their bearings, and are consistently going under the pad to warm up. (instead of standing around complaining that they are cold) Then, it's just a matter of gathering them and heating pad all up, and installing them in the coop. They get a little upset at first, and even though it's the same heating pad, they may need to be shoved under it a few times, then... life is oh so good for them and ME!

7. N F C

N F C More coffee please! Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Congratulations on the almost here chicks!

8. Bridebeliever

Bridebeliever Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm going for outside in the coop next time for sure! I already wanted to build a "hospital" station in their rather large coop (8'x17', 10 chickens, planning to go to 15 chickens). We don't even get crazy low temperatures here! We maybe have a week of 20's each year! Mostly our winters are in the low 30's and we bought cold hardy birds anyway. My favorite part (besides the mess) is them not having to be in unnatural light all the time. That just seems wrong.

9. Jeanette01

Sep 2, 2015
    California
    So I just got an email from California Hatchery. My 2 week wait has turned into a 4 week wait.. *sigh*[​IMG]

10. Mutt Farm

Mutt Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] What kind did you order?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by