Ordered my chicks from mypetchicken.com and im wondering if i should cancel order..

undine

Chirping
6 Years
Jun 3, 2013
Los Angeles
I really want to raise chickens, but its pretty hard to find breeders where I'm from. I ordered 6 chicks(2 Easter egger, 2 australorp and 2 golden buffs which are all females). Ive read really bad things happen to them while they re being shipping and yea.. things are bound to go wrong. They end up dying or suffocating when the boxes reach people sometimes, and if they re alive they sometimes die a few days after wards. A good thing about it is that they all sometimes come in alive and healthy. I dont know what to do =( its like 50/50 for things to go well and not so well. What should I do? Should i cancel my order?
barnie.gif

Last edited:
i ordered 8 chicks from them last year... 4 RIR, 1 BA, and 3 silkies. unfortunately, one silkie died in transit and another one died shortly after. However, all my other chicks did very well and ive been very happy with them. they are big and strong and lay big eggs everyday. theyre also very docile. itried to order more but right after my first order they stopped shipping to this part of hawaii.
i hear about problems with ordering from all hatcheries, its just the nature of shipping day old chicks. So i say stick with mypetchicken. i hope they start shipping here again cause they are the only hatchery that sold sexed silkies.

We ordered from them last year and had 2 out of 10 die. One was weak on arrival but the other we think got pecked and that was that. Here's the thing: if you want specific breeds, order them, if not just pick them up from a local store or breeder (check craigslist). I have done it both ways and we have been happy. No matter where you get them from there is a chance they may not make it. The weak don't survive in nature either. If it were me, I would leave my order and see what comes. If something happens, they refund your money. If not, you have the chicks you want. The first week is the hardest no matter where they come from. Good luck.

I got my six layers from mypetchicken last year. They all arrived alive and frisky! They are very healthy ladies and I've never had a moments trouble with them. They are also all females, as advertised.

I have purchased chicks from a store and also from another mail order hatchery and I did have some losses, but I don't really think it was the "fault" of either the store or the hatchery. Chicks don't always make it, despite everyone's best efforts.

I would advise you to call your Post Office and let them know that you will have chicks coming in (call a day or so ahead, but no more). Tell them you will come and get your chicks day or night. The chicks are very, very noisy - postal employees will be glad to call you as soon as they arrive so you can come and get them. I got a call to get my ladies last year at 4:00 am!

I have ordered from mypetchicken and no issues with any arriving dead or hurt, in fact so far all 7 from the order are alive and well at 3 weeks old (fingers crossed)

I do know someone who had an issue with one of her chicks arriving dead but they refunded her money right away for the chick...I think at mypetchicken any chick that dies within 48 hours they will refund.

I think anytime you get chicks...be it from a feed store, mail order hatchery, breeder, pick up, etc there is always a chance you might lose one or two or so for a number of different reasons.

My Pet Chicken does not have a hatchery. They are a middleman of sorts, that has chicks sent from hatcheries. There are many reputable ones all over the country, and I would buy from the one nearest me who has the breeds I want. Hot summer days and cold winter days can kill chicks in transit through the postal system--that's why I order from the closest. Many people here on backyard chickens in California have chicks for sale, many of better quality than hatcheries. Look under Forum, then Buy-Sell-Trade at the top of the page, and you will see hatching eggs and chicks for sale. Many people will let you pick them up which is even better.

There is always some risk when you ship live animals and most of the chick death are beyond the control of the hatchery. Consider buying from a feed store, even thought the chicks are shipped to the store the ride to your house will not re-stress them. If shipping is the only option the best pratice is to get the chicks
shipped within 12-24 hours of hatching, meaning that it's probably best to buy directly from a hatchery not from a a broker.

To keep stress at a minimum I would order from the hatchery closed to my home and make sure that I am waiting at the door when the mail/UPS delivers them and be ready to immediately dip their beaks into a freshly mixed batch of "Sav-a-chick" of similar electrolyte solution and then observe them until I see them each take a drink on their own. I would also have some plain active culture buttermilk on hand to mix with their feed (2 parts feed one part buttermilk) to give them a head start on a nice healthy gut and reduce the risk of pasty butt. I would feed this at least once every 2nd day.

Last edited:
I just received my latest 8 chicks from My Pet Chicken and only have one which had some travel stress. The wife and I have been giving it some Save A Chick by dropper and it is coming around and eating and drinking. This was my first to gets chicks mail order and I had the same fear that you have. It's a 50/50 but I'll tell you this that the Post Office people that I have talked to say that are a lot of success stories out there because they're wanting you to have a good experience with them too. The gal at my PO was happy to cut the tape on my order to check my girls this morning and was very happy that they were warm and safe. Would I get mail order chicks again? YEP!

Back
Top Bottom