Ordered my coop today! Q on wire?

Coop de Grille

Songster
12 Years
Apr 24, 2010
South Carolina
I ordered a 10x16 shed that I am converting into a coop. I'd like my run to be approx 16x24, give or take a few feet depending on where the deliver company can position the shed. My question is on the wire.

Regarding the run, can I put chicken wire on the run and put half-inch hardware cloth on the bottom 2 feet, plus 2 feet buried to prevent digging? The chickens will be locked up at night. I don't know what type of predators we have here, but we back up to woods so I am assuming there are a few from raccoons to foxes.

I need to keep the cost down as much as possible. If I have to use all hardware cloth then my run will have to be half the size.

One of my run areas is just chicken wire (which isn't really recommended).

Raccoons can pull chicken wire apart, and can climb. So technically they can get into your pen even with the hardware cloth along the bottom. It is a personal decision in terms of how much risk you are willing to take. For me, I choose to have a nice large run...very big- they will have my whole garden (at least what used to be my garden, lol).

That hardware cloth along the bottom might be enough of a deterrent, or not. Rats and weasels can get through larger openings. 1/2 inch hardware cloth is the only way to keep them out, too. But I have read about those kinds of attacks happening at night. Some raccoons are brave enough to visit during the day in some areas.

Be sure to top your pen too to protect from aerial predators.

So in my opinion (since I like a LARGE pen rather than totally secure as I close mine up at night) go for the cheapest. HOWEVER you may be looking at some losses (or the loss of all of them) - it is just how much risk you choose to take.

I'd free range mine all the time but they mess up my bark nuggets in my flowerbeds, LOL.

Also- you might look at welded wire instead of chicken wire. That will be stronger and is similar in price from what I have found. Part of my pen area has that. It is better against visiting neighborhood dogs, too, I think.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=124262
see post #7

Also, if you do a cover, think snow load if you live in an area that gets snow.

Last edited:
Thank you, that link was very helpful!

I think I will go with the 2x4 fencing wire on top with the hardware cloth on the bottom. I am going to put hard plastic panels on part of the roof. The rest of it will be covered with the 2x4. I am in South Carolina so snow isn't a big concern.

I have the same dilemma right now.

People mentioned some inexpensive sources for welded wire in this thread. One of them free shipping and relatively low cost.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=612699

Does anyone know if snow will fall right through the top even with 1/2 inch welded wire covering the run? I would not want the snow to pile up in storms.

Cheers!

Jim

Hi from Pendleton/Clemson!!!
frow.gif

Quote:
I think that the snow will accumulate on 1/2 inch hardware cloth (the little tiny squares). I have 2 inch chicken wire (metal) across one of my pens and the snow falls through. But it is only to deter hawks...not raccoon proof.

They also offer heavy knotted? netting that is made of rope for snow loads on some websites. But if you are going to have hardware cloth you might have some snow up there.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=558501
see post #7
this thread discusses metal roofing

Quote:
I think that the snow will accumulate on 1/2 inch hardware cloth (the little tiny squares). I have 2 inch chicken wire (metal) across one of my pens and the snow falls through. But it is only to deter hawks...not raccoon proof.

They also offer heavy knotted? netting that is made of rope for snow loads on some websites. But if you are going to have hardware cloth you might have some snow up there.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=558501
see post #7
this thread discusses metal roofing

Thanks for the link, I might resurrect that thread by posting there, I do not want to hijack this thread
wink.png

Cheers!

Jim

Back
Top Bottom