Run roof in winter

mommissan

Songster
9 Years
Jul 4, 2011
Adirondacks
What kind of wire mesh do you recommend on top of my run that will take the snow load in winter? I wish I could use 1/2" hardware cloth but the weight of the snow would crush it. If it's too large, i.e. 4"x4" garden fence, snow passes through, but so do predators. Sooooo any ideas or suggestions?

We have a corrugated rubber roof. It is set at a slant as is the frame of the run. We have the hardware cloth underneath the roofing. It did start to bow a little this winter but it was a bad winter, and my husband just went out there and shoveled it once. He didn't even need a ladder because there was 4 feet of snow surrounding the run to stand on!

I used a PVC greenhouse (modified some) for my run. Being in central WI, I too needed something for the snow. It was cheap and easy. Just do a search on line for PVC greenhouse plans.
82350_2011_061610003.jpg

82350_2011_061610001.jpg

Would 1/2" hardware cloth really buckle? We have chicken wire on the top of one of our rabbit pens which is not sloped at all and a tarp over that and so far it's never buckled. It's been there for 2 yrs. When it gets full of rain water we have to push it up to get all the water to run out.

Well, the snow here gets pretty deep. We might get 2-3 feet in one good storm. 1/2" mesh tends o collect the snow. If I'm gone for a half a day during a storm, the weight could level it. We've taken 2 tarp sheds to the dump due to snow already. I wanted to predator proof the run on top, but mesh just won't do I guess. I've always wanted to build a run surrounding an old gazebo frame. In my free time.....

Quote:
That may have worked so far because your rabbit pen in likely much smaller than a chicken run, so the wire only has to span short distances and you have lucked out and not got an ice storm yet.

Back
Top Bottom