ordered my first goslings, exited and nervous

Congrats on ordering your goslings! I got two American Buffs as goslings several years ago, and I absolutely love my girls.

Many of the same guidelines apply as with chicks in terms of keeping them warm, making sure they have feed and water, and keeping their bedding clean. Goslings, of course, tend to be bigger and need larger housing. Also, they should not be housed with chickens as they are far messier and will bring moisture your chicks shouldn't have.

Although goslings can swim almost immediately, they will chill easily until they are better feathered out. Like chicks, you don't want them to get too cold. Some people suggest not letting goslings have water deeper than a water dish until they are at least two weeks old; I think I kept my girls out of "deep" water for much longer.

Handle them daily and make friends while they are young. You don't want a full-grown goose who isn't socialized. Size matters, and a big, angry goose can be a handful. Or, give you a black eye with an errant wing to the face.

Mature geese lay huge eggs; each is big enough to make a delicious three-egg omelet.

BTW, my poultry runs free together during the day. Some chickens are afraid of the geese, and the geese are afraid of a few of the more-aggressive hens. The geese mostly leave the chickens alone, however, they love to "herd" my runner ducks.

Best wishes on your new undertaking!

Forgot to mention one "interesting" aspect of raising geese. Like toddlers, they explore the world with and put everything in their mouths.

Mine love chewing on wood. They have damaged house trim and destroyed a lawn settee. That's annoying, but I have also had to rescue them from eating dangerous things, like small pieces of glass.
Once it's in their mouths, it's theirs and they won't give up without a fight.

Congratulations! One thing to remember with geese is that they’re highly social and consider whoever spends the most time with them as a member of their flock so the more time spent with them the better chance you’ll have of them being friendly with you. This is also a life long thing.

goslings arrived today. all healthy. starting them on flock raiser.when do I start giving grass? wanting to avoid angel wing.
Get some Baby Grit (chick grit) leave it available they can have grass anytime. Right now the protein will not hurt them but will need a little more niacin they can get that by sprinkling Nutritional yeast or Brewers yeast on there food. At about 4 weeks when you feel the pins come in from there wing feathers is when you need to worry about to much protein. I actually add protein to there feed for the first 3 weeks. Feed around 28 percent. then cut back till they get there feathers in and go back to about 22 percent while there still growing.

Back
Top Bottom