Ordered my first meaties of the year.

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by mstricer, Feb 8, 2011.

1. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    I order 11 CornishX all roosters. I pick them up on 2/22. I'm just doing in small batches this year. Due to getting overwhelmed last year. Who else ordered ?

2. bockbock2008

bockbock2008 Why do they call me crazy??

Dec 30, 2008
    Southwest Indiana
    Not yet. Waiting for it to get a little warmer so they can spend most of thier life OUT of my garage brooder [​IMG]

3. farmmomofmany

farmmomofmany Out Of The Brooder

Feb 7, 2011
    I havent ordered more the ones over the winter here I had alot of trouble. I attribute it to the cold. I will wait another week or so but look forward to getting more.

Blessings
    amy

4. Louise's Country Closet

Louise's Country Closet Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Garrison, MN
    This will be my first year getting meaties and I can't WAIT!! GAH! When will spring get here?? hehe I hope you enjoy yours!!! [​IMG]

5. Sparhawk

Sparhawk Out Of The Brooder

Feb 9, 2011
    We have 24 layers and are looking to get 10-15 meat chickens this year. I know nothing about breeds or types. We want these for our own consumption when they are ready, an dare looking at building out a coop for them.

I think I have the coop figured out, but what about breeds/types? are there any better than others? References or things to read up on so we can get smart about this??

Thanks

6. CowgirlJules

CowgirlJules Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2010
    Atwater, CA
    I got my first batch of meaties a week ago. I bought 25 Freedom Rangers. They're growing fast!

7. Dogfish

Dogfish Rube Goldberg incarnate

Mar 17, 2010
    Western Washington
    Mine arrive 3-5-10

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I ordered five CX with my pullets, to come in Feb 16. I think we'll order ten in April and ten or more in June--I don't want to overwhelm the honey with butchering or the sheer amount of poo. We're starting smaller due to space issues, both pre and post butchering. I have a side by side in the house, a side by side, an upright freezer and a chest freezer in the garage, and I'm out of space. Sounds like time to do some cleaning!

9. Bossroo

Bossroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2008
    Quote:Just invite us to dinner... problem solved !!!

10. Reg

Reg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Luton
    Quote:At what age do roosters start crowing ?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by