ordered some dark cornish today

taxidermist

Chirping
5 Years
Mar 16, 2014
After countless hours of research and hitting several dead ends, I decided to order some dark cornish from mypetchicken.com
the pictures of they're cornish look closest to the sop of all the hatchery birds I viewed.nice tight feathering with broad stocky breast and stout legs.
Hopefully the chicks I receive will reflect that.
I ordered 15 straight run. I plan on keeping hens and picking out a good rooster or two for breeding.
I would have preferred birds from a breeder but all that I could find in my area didn't have any to sell.

It's my understanding My Pet Chicken is just a drop shipper, they're not an actual hatchery. If you're wanting that many birds you might find it cheaper to go to the source and not pay the middle man. I think their source is Meyer hatchery? Not positive on that...

I tacked on 5 dark Cornish hens to my order from Ideal this spring. Another member here has convenienced me to try them for broodies. I may hatch some eggs for local sale for meat birds, but honestly I'd far rather they brood than lay.

Hey Taxidermist did you get your chicks in yet, was just wondering how they were doing, and if your were happy with them so far.

I got them this past Tuesday. 13 out of 15made it and seem to be doing well. Very active chicks.

Kool, keep us up to date on them plz.. i would like to know how they do for you.
cool.png

It's my understanding My Pet Chicken is just a drop shipper, they're not an actual hatchery. If you're wanting that many birds you might find it cheaper to go to the source and not pay the middle man. I think their source is Meyer hatchery? Not positive on that...

I tacked on 5 dark Cornish hens to my order from Ideal this spring. Another member here has convenienced me to try them for broodies. I may hatch some eggs for local sale for meat birds, but honestly I'd far rather they brood than lay.

The Ideal DC are known to brood? I've seen it mentioned about the MM ones but not Ideal.....be curious to see how that works out for you~ it's partly what I'm considering them for.

M

The Ideal DC are known to brood? I've seen it mentioned about the MM ones but not Ideal.....be curious to see how that works out for you~ it's partly what I'm considering them for.

M
I still haven't even got the chicks yet, so no more info
tongue.png

The person who convinced me to try them was WalkingonSunshine. I'm not sure where she got her birds from, you could send her pm and ask. She's sworn they're great broodies, not in the first year so much but that second spring she says the set like champs. Plus, they're big so you can put a lot of eggs under them
big_smile.png

I still haven't even got the chicks yet, so no more info :p

The person who convinced me to try them was WalkingonSunshine. I'm not sure where she got her birds from, you could send her  pm and ask. She's sworn they're great broodies, not in the first year so much but that second spring she says the set like champs. Plus, they're big so you can put a lot of eggs under them :D  

Lol.....I thought perhaps you'd had a hatchery recommendation as well. Some list them as broody and some don't; the Ideal site has been down so I can't read the description :)
The hens seems to have a solid rep as broodies while the cocks seem to be a crapshoot for temperament~ I'm trying to get a good picture of the hatchery DC as I'm considering them as a flock that will replenish its numbers :)

I hope they do well for you!

M

Back
Top Bottom