Ordered splash maran from hatchery but colors seem wrong?

Which hatchery? That's definitely not Splash, nor a Marans at all with that beard she's sporting. I'm guessing that you have yourself some sort of Easter-egger mix, but her origin will help to confirm anything more specific.
Meyer Hatchery, but I added another post below with pictures of another chick that maaaaaay be my splash. I ordered 13 chicks and 5 were bantams but only 3 bantams were obvious so there are 2 bantams I am unsure of bc of their larger size, those would be an EE and a Green Queen. I may have confused the EE for the Splash due to chick fluff colors.

Marans are good birds. They're pretty inconsistent layers though. Used to have a French Black Copper Marans hen, & a couple American Cuckoo Marans.

Spelling is Ameraucana. They're technically just EEs with a standard.

Feathered legs depends on where they came from.
True ameraucanas breed true...easter eggers are just literal mutts...most dont even carry a blue egg gene anymore but they dont breed true at all.

True ameraucanas breed true...easter eggers are just literal mutts...most dont even carry a blue egg gene anymore but they dont breed true at all.
Hmmm. All my so called EEs lay blue eggs. Guess I lucked out. Oh, and I’ve bred them and got pullets who lay blue or green (rir crossed with my EE roo). I’ve always wondered who supplied the Atwood’s that I bought them at. I think they’re just poor Ameraucaunas. Just wrong colored.

Looks blue, not Splash. Could be a darker Splash though.
I can't find any pics online that show anything but full grown or day old chicks so I have no reference for how it's colors may or may not change as it gets older. I was really excited for the typical splash maran look, but I really am more interested in knowing which chicks are what breeds. Could it become lighter later if it is in fact a very dark splash? It's not typical for this hatchery to send the wrong breed.

Barely noticeable comb at all, the blue chick I posted pics of has a more maran style comb though and the feathered legs. I'm thinking the dark blue/grey coloring threw me off from it being the splash.
So, pea comb for the first? If so then it's more likely a colored egger.

Meyer Hatchery, but I added another post below with pictures of another chick that maaaaaay be my splash. I ordered 13 chicks and 5 were bantams but only 3 bantams were obvious so there are 2 bantams I am unsure of bc of their larger size, those would be an EE and a Green Queen. I may have confused the EE for the Splash due to chick fluff colors.
Green Queen is a Salmon Faverolle based Easter Egger, so that maybe your lighter chick.

Ameraucanas have a complicated history, & came from the what's been known as the Easter Egg chicken. Known today as Easter Eggers.

Kollonka chickens are the ancestors of the Aruacanas, Ameraucana, & of course EEs.

They may breed true, but they're still Eggers.

I can't find any pics online that show anything but full grown or day old chicks so I have no reference for how it's colors may or may not change as it gets older. I was really excited for the typical splash maran look, but I really am more interested in knowing which chicks are what breeds. Could it become lighter later if it is in fact a very dark splash? It's not typical for this hatchery to send the wrong breed.
Did you order Splash, or the Blue, Black, Splash?

Back
Top Bottom