Ordered splash maran from hatchery but colors seem wrong?

Marans are good birds. They're pretty inconsistent layers though. Used to have a French Black Copper Marans hen, & a couple American Cuckoo Marans.

Spelling is Ameraucana. They're technically just EEs with a standard.

Feathered legs depends on where they came from.
My FBCM are excellent layers.... all of them lay between 5/6 eggs weekly...

But I'm starting to realized that European lines can be quite different from American lines...

My FBCM are excellent layers.... all of them lay between 5/6 eggs weekly...

But I'm starting to realized that European lines can be quite different from American lines...
Mine weren't the greatest layers. But it also depends on the source of wh dr e you got your birds.

They also have a very good hatch rate for Marans....the egg shell is incredibly thick, so sometimes they actually can't break the shell but I'm having about 90% hatch rate until now.

Right now I have 7 eggs in incubator to that reach 21 days tomorrow morning and already have 5 pipped eggs. Had 6 in a broody hen, they all hatched just a week ago. And have 12 more under broodies (my Brahmas and their daughters just looooovvvveeee to sit on eggs)

----------------------

And now that it's morning....they're all pipped and one is already out....

Last edited:
I ordered a female splash maran from a hatchery but this coloring has me confused. They're supposed to be mostly white with black or blue "splashes"... There really isn't any other chick in my order that could be the splash maran according to the chick pictures for IDing on their website. Could I have gotten a wrong chick? I can't find any pics online that looks anything like this. Anyone recognize the coloring? She's about 3 weeks old in the

So I also have a blue chick with feathered legs but I thought it may be my daughter's bantam EE from the same order except that it isn't small like her other bantams and it was blue not light yellow as a new chick, so maybe it is my splash maran, here are a few pics...View attachment 3493134View attachment 3493135View attachment 3493137
I order from Meyer, as well this year and my order contained a Green Queen, and I received an extra chick which is a Blue Splash Cochin. I wasn't sure which chicks were which until feathers and other characteristics formed. Now I know who's who. See pics below. These chicks are 8 weeks today.

20230726_085752.jpg
20230726_085943.jpg

20230726_085816.jpg

1. Both chicks - Green Queen and Blue Splash Cochin
2. Blue Splash Cochin
3. Green Queen
Can you add pics of your Green Queen?
Could your chick be a Green Queen? Just a thought...

I just got a couple of olive eggers and I was told they are crossed with blue splash marans. They look alot like your chick with the feathers on their legs. Mine have that as well, so my guess is that's your blue splash marans.

Back
Top Bottom