Ordering and choosing chicks?

Brahmas are actually listed in most placed as "cold hardy" ... They are built for cold, but as long as you provide them with cold water throughout the day they will be fine... Leghorns are excellent layers, they do well in warm climates, and yes they are skittish.. But things like skittish is different from bird to bird and im sure can be lessened by building a bond between yourself and the chick

So if I were to spend a lot of time with a Leghorn from the time it was a chick, it would probably grow up to not be very skittish? I do plan on spending a lot of time with my chickens! :)

How do you keep water cold during summertime?

Okay, here's what I'm thinking of doing. Murray McMurray is the only one who has all the breeds I want.

For my flock I was thinking of 2 Blue Andalusians, 2 Light Brahmas, 2 Speckled Sussex. I'll order 4 of the Blue Andalusians since I read that only about 50% of them grow up to actually be blue. However that's only 8 chicks, and the minimum order is 15, so I thought I'd also order 7 White Leghorns and then just sell them to local people.

Does this sound like an OK plan? Any problems with it?

Item​
Price​
Quantity​
Subtotal​
Remove​
ANDP BLUE ANDALUSIANS Females Shipped Jan - Nov
$3.22​

$12.88​
LIBP LIGHT BRAHMAS Females Shipped Jan - Nov
$3.35​

$6.70​
PEAP PEARL-WHITE LEGHORN Females Shipped Jan - Nov
$2.97​

$20.79​
SPSP SPECKLED SUSSEX Females Shipped Jan - Nov
$3.35​

$6.70​

Last edited:
How would I find out what's popular? Should I go with Rhode Island Red's instead of Leghorns?
I'm really trying to keep cost of the extras down, and Leghorns are the cheapest ones. I can sell them here OR in Sacramento, since I travel between the two places frequently. I don't think I'd have any trouble selling the extras.

Last edited:
I'm thinking I'll go with Rhode Island Red's instead for the 'extras'. I am assuming that this idea is just fine, since nobody has said come up and said it's a bad idea!

What vaccines should the chicks get at the hatchery? I have the option of Mareks and Coccidiosis.

Back
Top Bottom