Ordering chicks, but what should I get?!

Bebop

Songster
12 Years
Jul 1, 2007
Leesville/Fort Polk, Louisiana
Oh man, I'm so confused..
I can have up to 6 chickens here in my city..and I don't know which ones to choose!!
I'm thinking of getting these ones:

Welsummer - love the dark eggs!
Australorp - love their color!
Buff Orpington - heard these ones are nice!
Salmon Favorelle - these look so cool!

Yeah, I know only 4! I know I want 2 Welsummers (twice as many cool eggs!), but what combination would YOU get the rest in?

P.S. I seriously can't even get more than that, so please don't talk me into it! PLEASE!!
tongue.png

Some of those may not be available right now - I tried to order some Welsummers - and couldn't get them - I ordered from Ideal.

okay, i didn't know it worked that way haha.
I was just on Ideal and they basically made it seem like I could order them since it didn't say they weren't available.
Would I just need to call them to see which ones I could get? I pretty much had my heart set on those breeds.

Okay well, I'm only waiting until next month to get the Welsummers! That's perfect!
I think I already answered my own question by getting a salmon favorelle roo as well. I just found out I could have a roo afterall!

Last edited:
I think you should get either 2 EE's/Auracaunas/Americanas (however they list it at the hatchery you're using) for their colored eggs, or 1 EE and 1 white rock. Such a pretty flock and range of egg colors that would make. Also, you'd know who laid which eggs.
gig.gif

Ideal has a limit - when they feel its nessesary they will add chicks for warmth - meaning you will get ROO"S
I ordered 11 a couple of months ago - for delivery last week - they couldn't give me the Welsummers - and shorted me one more chick by accident - so I got 8 - and luckily because of the heat they didn't add any chicks for warmth.

(Darn, I wanted Dark brown egg layers!)
I chose my chicks for egg color and personality, I want a variety of egg colors, just for fun and so we know who laid what!

i got mine for variety in eggs. we can only have 3. at the feedstore they only had bantam cochins, got 3. 1 was a deffinant male, when we returned him to the feedstore they had americaunas, only one left (actually an EE) we got her. we then had 2 bantam cochins, and an EE. my chick penelope turned out to be a boy. neighbors hated his crowing. i then got a cuckoo maran. leading me to a miniature egg, a blue/green egg, and a really dark brown egg.

Last edited:
Quote:
They have a minimum order of $25 but no minimum number of chicks. They throw in extra roosters for warmth if they think the shipment needs it. They also have a $7 handling charge for ordering less than 100 and a boxing charge of $1 for each breed ordered if you order less than 25 of each breed.

I received 12 chicks the day before yesterday, three different breeds, and the extra charges and shipping was $15 for a total of $36 for the dozen.

Back
Top Bottom