Ordering chicks for the first time, A few Questions

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by HaileyNJoliesMom, Jun 21, 2008.

1. HaileyNJoliesMom

HaileyNJoliesMom Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL
    Im a first time chicken owner. I currently have 2 RIR 5 week old chicks, 2 EE 5 week old chicks, 2 Astrolop 10 week old (lil girls I believe) 1 5 month old Buff Hen, and 1 5 month old RIR/ leghorn cross rooster. All of these were bought locally.
    Im looking at Mypetchicken.com right now and hoping to order 10 RIR chicks, Im being asked about vaccinations, for an additional charge. What are these vaccinations for? Are they necessary? Im more than willing to pay the extra money for the vaccines but I would like to know what Im vaccinating for

Thanks [​IMG]

2. ravenfeathers

ravenfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    vermont
  3. GRAM49

GRAM49 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    Indiana
    Hi, I know next to nothing about chicken vaccines, but I am awaiting my order from MPC and I had them add the vaccines. I figured it couldn't hurt. My order is shipping Monday and I have waited six weeks. I can hardly stand it!

4. HaileyNJoliesMom

HaileyNJoliesMom Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL
    Thanks for the information.

I agree Gram, cant hurt.
    I havent put in my order yet, but now im starting to think I want more of an assortment. All those pics on the broder sticky of the colorful chicks makes me want more that just RIR's [​IMG]

5. Rhett&SarahsMom

Rhett&SarahsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    I was told that if you add a vaccinated chicken to a flock of unvaccinated birds, that the unvaccinated birds will GET what ever it was(Mareks) that they new birds were vaccinated for. *whew* Did

Did anyone "get" that?? LOL

Is this true?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by