ordering chicks mayB

L*A*G*

Songster
11 Years
Nov 19, 2008
planet chicken
hey, I went to MPC and hope to order about 5 silkies.
but why do they say to add 2? or should i wait? please let me know if it is a good ordering site.
Larra

Although MPC heavily advertises that you can order as few as 3 chicks, you have to read the fine print because the 3 min. is only is you live in a large city (from their website):

How to determine the best minimum for you:
Our smallest order size of 3 chicks applies to major cities only, such as Los Angeles, New York, Chicago, Miami, San Francisco, Boston, Seattle, Portland OR, etc., due to the speed with which they can be delivered. If you live within 30 minutes of a major city, the best minimum is 5 chicks. For any town or rural area that is more than 30 minutes from a major city, our minimum is 8 chicks. This is to protect the chicks due to increased time in transit. If you are ordering Bantams, we strongly recommend that you add two chicks to any of the above quantities. We love our babies too much to let anything happen to them!

IMO, with the crazy weather we are having in the US right now it would be a bad time to order chicks and expect them to all arrive healthy.
I myself would not even consider ordering bantam chicks in any amount before winter is at least on its way out.
The small heating pad that MPC adds to their boxes can only go so far in protecting the chicks from the weather.
Just MHO.

Can't you find any body local or on craigslist for your area?
Goodluck
frow.gif

ut oh... we ordered 50 bantam chicks for the 29th..... But we also got them from ideal which is maybe 8 hours from us....

*L*A*G* :

the truth is in GA it is 70 F at day time this weak! my brother was walking around without a shirt on. lol.

Yes, but you have to think about the temperature where the chicks are coming from and will have to travel through. It is certainly NOT 70 degrees here in Kentucky, more like 25-30, so think how could it is up north and in the northwest!

(This is assuming MPC isn't in Atlanta, but IDK where it is. Just wanted to make sure you think about things all the way around.)​

Last edited:
It really depends on the individual bird. Silkies, as a general rule, go broody quite easily, but there are some that end up more obsessed with broodiness than others. If you keep gathering the eggs on a regular schedule, you won't have to worry about extra chicks hatching. Additionally, nothing will hatch if you don't get a rooster.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom