Concerned: Has anyone ordered from Hoover's Hatchery?

Leahs Coop

Crossing the Road
5 Years
Nov 5, 2018
Oklahoma
Hey guys
I've decided to get back into chickens again this spring, and I've just placed an order with Hoover's Hatchery. (They had the earliest available ship date and were a little more reasonable.)
Anyway, after placing my order, I went through their Google reviews and saw a lot of negativaty regarding chicks being dead upon arrival, or dying within a 48 hour time window. So now I'm a little nervous and skeptical. So I was hoping to hear some good feedback from any of you guys who may have ordered from them. Have a lot of you had the same bad experiences?

Hoovers supplies many of the chicks that are sold at TSC and other chain stores. They are known for producing large quantities of chicks, not necessarily the best at keeping breed standards.
As far as chicks surviving in the mail, that has a lot to do with the journey they have. Weather and treatment by the postal service. Hatcheries can add heat packs ect. , If they for see a weather issue in route, but all hatcheries have a risk when mailing. Most of the time it works out. Occasionally (and the ones who you hear from in reviews) chicks don't survive the trip. Hatcheries have different refund methods for this. I don't know what Hoovers refund policy is.

I have never had chicks shipped to me before, but I hear that Murray McMurray is a good one, as well as My Pet Chicken and Meyer Hatchery, if you decide not to go with Hoover's.

Back
Top Bottom