My chicks are dying!!! Hoovers Hatchery

Pics
Literally the three times I’ve bought from Rural King I’ve lost over 50% and that is due to Hoovers Hatchery. I thought this last time would be different. I’m livid at their complete lack of respect for animals lives. Yes, I brought three that passed back in and got an exchange but it’s not about that…now more are dead. My son is holding the last one till she passes so she’s not just trampled over when she finally dies. It’s disgusting to me that we keep losing so mayn’t ONLY when we use Hoover’s. I’m already done with TSC for obvious reasons. I love Rural King but I cannot advocate by contributing our hard earned money the sale of animals who just die by the houndreds each season.

Winter is just as hard on shipped chicks as the high heat of summer is.

It's not just about the temps where you are but the temps during the journey that matter.

Literally the three times I’ve bought from Rural King I’ve lost over 50% and that is due to Hoovers Hatchery. I thought this last time would be different. I’m livid at their complete lack of respect for animals lives. Yes, I brought three that passed back in and got an exchange but it’s not about that…now more are dead. My son is holding the last one till she passes so she’s not just trampled over when she finally dies. It’s disgusting to me that we keep losing so mayn’t ONLY when we use Hoover’s. I’m already done with TSC for obvious reasons. I love Rural King but I cannot advocate by contributing our hard earned money the sale of animals who just die by the houndreds each season.
It makes a difference whether you get the teeny tiny ones or older ones that are starting to feather out.Some employees will grab the 1st chick they see and throw it in a box for you while others will only grab the healthy ones. The last chicks I got from rk were only a $1 and all 6 lived.I I bought these to use as broody hens because they can keep a large number of chicks or eggs under them(Australorp's and Sapphire gems)

I'm SO Sorry, how incredibly sad.... AND aggravating! I 100% agree that I won't use TSC and/or Hoovers! I hope you're son is okay and has a better experience.........

I was very fortunate a couple of years ago when I bought two Khaki Campbell ducklings from Rural King in February. I am in Ohio and it is cold. I also bought 2 two different times last August and all 4 ducklings were healthy and fine. I personally think it is the time of year that they are purchased that has a lot to do with it. Chicks especially if they get chilled during shipping have a hard time surviving. Our nights in Ohio are below freezing even though we have had some milder days. I am so sorry that this has happened to you. I will never purchase any again during winter as it was a mess to keep them in the house for 6 weeks in my living room plus the extra risk of them not surviving. This is just my experience.

I keep my chicks brooders at 100 degrees on one end using a black ceramic heat emitting bulb. I don't use big totes as brooders .They're too small to regulate the circulation of fresh air and keep them warm at the same time. They tend to overheat the chicks which dehydrates them. I use large wire dog crates until the chicks are stable enough to go outside into the run. My run is divided into 2 sections down the middle and separates the chicks from the adults

I had positive experience with Meyer Hatchery. They increase the minimum chicks for a order during the winter month. They also put a heating pat with the chickens so, they can warm up if needed. I did not loose one chick.
So far I only lost 1 chicken shortly after shipment and 1 about one week later failed to thrive of 32 chicks. I use a large rabbit cage as my boorder and try to avoide the winter month for the reasons already mentioned.

Good luck on your next baby chickens.

Back
Top Bottom