My chicks are dying!!! Hoovers Hatchery

This was my first batch of chicks ever that tried to eat pine shavings (fine and medium) I had to lay paper towels down a week to discourage them from eating it .I didn't lose any chicks fortunately .(Wood chips aren't the same as shavings)

This was my first batch of chicks ever that tried to eat pine shavings (fine and medium) I had to lay paper towels down a week to discourage them from eating it .I didn't lose any chicks fortunately .(Wood chips aren't the same as shavings)
I have never tried the fine or medium for my ducklings, I always get the large pine when I use them. Anymore I just use Puppy Pads but the trash man wishes I didn't as they get them wet and our trash can weighs a ton until I can get them out of the house. I went through so many with my Runner Ducks until they were 4 weeks old but now they are outside. I am sure my trash man is going to celebrate Monday when he sees how light my trash can is now, lol.

Just got chicks from tractor supply, 10 days old -woke up two dead 10 fine. Now another cream legbar lethargic and increased respiratory rate. electrolytes given - this one and another had very little development. Failure to thrive? others already feathering. Did see them eat and drink. Disappointed.

Just got chicks from tractor supply, 10 days old -woke up two dead 10 fine. Now another cream legbar lethargic and increased respiratory rate. electrolytes given - this one and another had very little development. Failure to thrive? others already feathering. Did see them eat and drink. Disappointed.
My 2 cockerels(cream legbars) from Murray McMurray were half the size of all my other chicks (13 pullets various other breeds) when they arrived. When the other chicks were up eating and drinking and running around the brooder they laid around a lot and had to be moved to a corner multiple times to keep them being trampled b y the others .They were weak and frail for at least at week to 10 days .Both lived only because I intervened on their behalf and never allowed any trampling or pecking.

I would separate them from the other chicks with a divider if possible.My other chicks trampled mine.

I have been raising chicks for over 13 years.

For the 1st time this year I purchased some chicks from tractor supply online which goes through Hoover's Hatchery. I have never used them before but they seem to have decent prices and thought I would give it a go.

Received the birds within 48 hours from shipment. A few were DOA, which I have never had happened before with other hatcheries. Placed them in their brooder with 2 heat lamps and a brooding plate. This is a large enclosure and they have more than enough room to move away from the heat. Put nutrients in the water and free access to crumbles. It has now been a little over 48 hours since the chicks have arrived and I have lost 13 out of the 30. 😳

Before this arrival of chicks I can count on one hand in 13 years how many chicks I have lost. They seem to become lethargic, I give them some nutridrench and sugar water and they just decline until they die.

I am just incredibly sad and remarkably disappointed at the health of these chicks.

Anyone have any suggestions or does Hoovers Hatchery just suck. 🥺
I am so sorry to hear about your loss :-(

For the 1st time this year I purchased some chicks from tractor supply online which goes through Hoover's Hatchery. I have never used them before but they seem to have decent prices and thought I would give it a go.

Received the birds within 48 hours from shipment. A few were DOA, which I have never had happened before with other hatcheries. Placed them in their brooder with 2 heat lamps and a brooding plate. This is a large enclosure and they have more than enough room to move away from the heat. Put nutrients in the water and free access to crumbles. It has now been a little over 48 hours since the chicks have arrived and I have lost 13 out of the 30. 😳

Before this arrival of chicks I can count on one hand in 13 years how many chicks I have lost. They seem to become lethargic, I give them some nutridrench and sugar water and they just decline until they die.

I am just incredibly sad and remarkably disappointed at the health of these chicks.

I bought 16 this Spring from TSC and only had 3 survive to be interduced to my other chickens . Mine were their assorted bantams and premium pullets. I have never lost that many chicks every morning I would wake up to dead chicks . I think the hatchery just sucks . I won't buy from them again

I try to order chicks to arrive around the last frost date to avoid winter storms and low temps.The date they arrive is more important to me than the breed ,color or quantity.I don't want a box of dead chicks! I have chosen breeds that weren't necessarily my 1st choice just so I could have them shipped around this time.Cold weather can kill your chicks!

So sorry to hear this. Are you feeding them Medicated Chick starter? Do they have plenty of room in the brooder and is it kept as clean as possible? Just some thoughts on what can cause these type of problems. I pray that the others all survive.

Literally the three times I’ve bought from Rural King I’ve lost over 50% and that is due to Hoovers Hatchery. I thought this last time would be different. I’m livid at their complete lack of respect for animals lives. Yes, I brought three that passed back in and got an exchange but it’s not about that…now more are dead. My son is holding the last one till she passes so she’s not just trampled over when she finally dies. It’s disgusting to me that we keep losing so mayn’t ONLY when we use Hoover’s. I’m already done with TSC for obvious reasons. I love Rural King but I cannot advocate by contributing our hard earned money the sale of animals who just die by the houndreds each season.

Back
Top Bottom