My chicks are dying!!! Hoovers Hatchery

I'm in W Tex. We've had very mild temps, lately. They just seem like sickly chicks. It's very sad. They were shipped directly to me.
Just wanted to let you know that Ideal Poultry is right here in Texas and they hatch birds out on Wednesdays and can have them at your post office Thursday morning.

I maybe wrong (memory slips with age) but didn't TSC order from Ideal years ago? Privitt was another hatchery used "years ago", not sure how long they've been getting from Hoover but I won't buy chicks from TSC anymore because they're from Hoover.

Last year we bought some and not happy with results, sold all.

A friend orders from McMurray so I add my wants to hers ... I'm limited to 6 max due to size of my Chicken House, Hubby's way to control Chicken Math :hmm

I also ordered my 10-ct Barred rocks through TSC via Hoovers. They shipped from St. Paul, NM to Southern California. First time chick owner and after the research, I was prepared to loose a few but so far all 10 have been active and healthy Currently they are 4 1/2 weeks. Granted our temps can be a little more even keeled compared to other regions of the country but I remember it was cold enough for a light jacket on the morning I went to pick them up from the post office. Other than some being bigger and some smaller (normal variety of a litter I assume) they all seem to be in good shape.
I'm pretty sure light jacket weather in socal is 60-65⁰. lmao... Depending on how far you actually are from the ocean.
Last time I picked up chicks it was about 32⁰.
Glad all your chicks arrived well and that they're continuing to thrive!

When hatcheries receive orders for breeds they don't raise they order them from another hatcheries. This is common practice.When a hatchery only sells their own chicks they specify this in their policies.
This is so true and I think that is what is so hard on the chicks. It seems when they don't come direct from a hatchery there are more problems with survival. I got mine directly from Metzer Farms, they came all the way from California to Ohio but it was in June too when it was warmer and they have been two very healthy Mallard Hens. They are three years old now and the best Momma Ducks ever.

I'm pretty sure light jacket weather in socal is 60-65⁰. lmao... Depending on how far you actually are from the ocean.
Last time I picked up chicks it was about 32⁰.
Glad all your chicks arrived well and that they're continuing to thrive!
About 2 hours inward, where the desert starts. Ha! 65 is shirt weather all day! It was probably closer to 50 or 55.

Phew, 32 is COLD. I know it can get much colder but at 32, I want more than a light jacket.

I have been raising chicks for over 13 years.

For the 1st time this year I purchased some chicks from tractor supply online which goes through Hoover's Hatchery. I have never used them before but they seem to have decent prices and thought I would give it a go.

Received the birds within 48 hours from shipment. A few were DOA, which I have never had happened before with other hatcheries. Placed them in their brooder with 2 heat lamps and a brooding plate. This is a large enclosure and they have more than enough room to move away from the heat. Put nutrients in the water and free access to crumbles. It has now been a little over 48 hours since the chicks have arrived and I have lost 13 out of the 30. 😳

Before this arrival of chicks I can count on one hand in 13 years how many chicks I have lost. They seem to become lethargic, I give them some nutridrench and sugar water and they just decline until they die.

I am just incredibly sad and remarkably disappointed at the health of these chicks.

Anyone have any suggestions or does Hoovers Hatchery just suck. 🥺
I am so sorry. It is hard to lose them at any stage. We just got our second run from Hoover's, they held back our first run due to cold weather, but we only lost one, and that was a week later. I don't think the issue is Hoover's so much as possible bad handling or bad luck in the shipping process. We have a 3rd run coming the end of June and from there, I will be hatching my own to expand my flock or sell locally, to others that want to raise their own chickens.

I haven't read the entire thread I confess.

I am commenting on pine shavings and new chicks.
I have raised a couple hundred over the decades and never once had any issue with using pine shavings.

I will also comment on chicks from Hoovers hatchery. While I have not purchased from TSC many birds in my flock are from Hoovers via a different feed store. I have NOT found them to be inferior to any other hatchery birds.

If you got them at the tractor? If they put them on wood chips RIP. If you put them in a plastic tub...RIP.
I have always used pine shavings for my ducklings and they have always started in a big plastic tote and done fine. I am surprised you have had problems with this method. I went from pine shavings to Puppy pads while they were in a larger puppy pen in the house and they worked out fine also. Just a lot of changing because of the mess but other than that it was all good. Did you use cedar shavings as those are toxic to birds?

Back
Top Bottom