My chicks are dying!!! Hoovers Hatchery

I would think not as Ohio is no way close to California and now they have a hatchery in Tennessee. You can contact them and find out at least. I was concerned about the distance mine had to come but since it was June weather was not a concern and they were both perfectly healthy. You only have to buy two and you can get them sexed is what I appreciated. Good luck with your decision.
You can call Metzer's at 800-424-7755 to find out if they can ship to you.

I have been raising chicks for over 13 years.

For the 1st time this year I purchased some chicks from tractor supply online which goes through Hoover's Hatchery. I have never used them before but they seem to have decent prices and thought I would give it a go.

Received the birds within 48 hours from shipment. A few were DOA, which I have never had happened before with other hatcheries. Placed them in their brooder with 2 heat lamps and a brooding plate. This is a large enclosure and they have more than enough room to move away from the heat. Put nutrients in the water and free access to crumbles. It has now been a little over 48 hours since the chicks have arrived and I have lost 13 out of the 30. 😳

Before this arrival of chicks I can count on one hand in 13 years how many chicks I have lost. They seem to become lethargic, I give them some nutridrench and sugar water and they just decline until they die.

I am just incredibly sad and remarkably disappointed at the health of these chicks.

Anyone have any suggestions or does Hoovers Hatchery just suc

I have been raising chicks for over 13 years.

For the 1st time this year I purchased some chicks from tractor supply online which goes through Hoover's Hatchery. I have never used them before but they seem to have decent prices and thought I would give it a go.

Received the birds within 48 hours from shipment. A few were DOA, which I have never had happened before with other hatcheries. Placed them in their brooder with 2 heat lamps and a brooding plate. This is a large enclosure and they have more than enough room to move away from the heat. Put nutrients in the water and free access to crumbles. It has now been a little over 48 hours since the chicks have arrived and I have lost 13 out of the 30. 😳

Before this arrival of chicks I can count on one hand in 13 years how many chicks I have lost. They seem to become lethargic, I give them some nutridrench and sugar water and they just decline until they die.

I am just incredibly sad and remarkably disappointed at the health of these chicks.

Anyone have any suggestions or does Hoovers Hatchery just suck. 🥺
I'm sorry. Do you live in a cold part of the country? We bought from another hatchery. 26 shipped, 4 DOA, 1 died that afternoon, another that night, another the next morning and another that evening and a runt a few days later. The cold travel is very hard on them. I'm so sorry. It is so sad to watch.

We had similar experience. Ordered 15, shipped 18, 4 dead within 3 weeks. Same symptoms as yours, lethargic, fed nutri-drench, declined and died. I speculate that the failure to thrive has to do with genetics.
In a couple of days our chicks from Cackle are scheduled to hatch, three of them being black laced golden Wyandottes. I’ll keep a closer eye on those three. By the way, I replied on one of your earlier posts about it.

I bought 18 chicks from TSC this year and only 6 made it . IDK if maybe they just had a bad year ? With the weather and demand for chicks . Ive lost one or two before but never this many . I gave Nutri Drench but they just declined and died . I have two still in the house because 1 is really tiny even for a Silkie chick and 1 I think is a Double Frizzle gene chick

I ordered 15 from Hoovers. They shipped on Wednesday and arrived on Friday. I’ve lost 5 in the first 48 hours, and I have another one that will pass before morning :(

I also received 9 from Murray McMurray. They shipped on Monday and arrived on Wednesday. All 9 are thriving under the same conditions.
Did they both come from the same states to the same states. Weather can affect the survival of chicks and temperatures can make a big difference. I am so sorry for your loss. I hope that all of the surviving ones make it okay. I have only ever ordered from Metzer but it was in June and the weather was good. They came from California all the way to Ohio and have been healthy and good little Mallard Hens.

Did they both come from the same states to the same states. Weather can affect the survival of chicks and temperatures can make a big difference. I am so sorry for your loss. I hope that all of the surviving ones make it okay. I have only ever ordered from Metzer but it was in June and the weather was good. They came from California all the way to Ohio and have been healthy and good little Mallard Hens.
It has been unusually cold so I think they may have gotten chilled in shipping. I’m not sure though. When they started looking lethargic with droopy wings, we did all we could and wrapped them in warm towels and gave them sugar water. They all still died in the same manner.

I have a camera on the brooder and it looks like everyone is bouncing around this morning. I wasn’t sure what I’d find.

ETA: I did add a heat lamp yesterday after we lost some. I was concerned the brooder plate wasn’t keeping them warm enough. I really don’t know if that’s it or not. The last batch of chicks went directly in the coop from day 1 with a brooder plate. I’ve kept these new ones in the house because it’s been so cold.

Last edited:
In a couple of days our chicks from Cackle are scheduled to hatch, three of them being black laced golden Wyandottes. I’ll keep a closer eye on those three. By the way, I replied on one of your earlier posts about it.
I'd love to know about the BLGW, as we lost 2 of the 3 we ordered from Cackle.

Back
Top Bottom