My chicks are dying!!! Hoovers Hatchery

We have not received any chickens from Hoover but our shipment from Meyers in January had a heat pack in it and all the chicks survived. One was very weak and the powder pack Meyers include in their shipment is wonderful.

Sorry forgot to mention that some local people did advice from getting chickens from TSC.

I have been raising chicks for over 13 years.

For the 1st time this year I purchased some chicks from tractor supply online which goes through Hoover's Hatchery. I have never used them before but they seem to have decent prices and thought I would give it a go.

Received the birds within 48 hours from shipment. A few were DOA, which I have never had happened before with other hatcheries. Placed them in their brooder with 2 heat lamps and a brooding plate. This is a large enclosure and they have more than enough room to move away from the heat. Put nutrients in the water and free access to crumbles. It has now been a little over 48 hours since the chicks have arrived and I have lost 13 out of the 30. šŸ˜³

Before this arrival of chicks I can count on one hand in 13 years how many chicks I have lost. They seem to become lethargic, I give them some nutridrench and sugar water and they just decline until they die.

I am just incredibly sad and remarkably disappointed at the health of these chicks.

Anyone have any suggestions or does Hoovers Hatchery just suck. šŸ„ŗ
We had similar experience. Ordered 15, shipped 18, 4 dead within 3 weeks. Same symptoms as yours, lethargic, fed nutri-drench, declined and died. I speculate that the failure to thrive has to do with genetics. I talked to a chicken farmer today, and he told me that eggs from older hens had far more tendency to survive than eggs from young hens. It must be genetics. I don't know what else could cause this. He also told me that his losses are around 5%, which seems low for a commercial chicken ranch, but I'll take his word. Sorry for your losses!

We too received 50 chicks from Hoover a week ago today. We have lost 6 as of this morning. This is our first time ordering chicks and also our first time with cornish cross. I'm sick with worry. What are we supposed to do? We give electrolytes and probiotic in their water and meat bird chic crumbles. I feel like I'm failing them and it had me nervous for the rest of my orders being shipped to us. What am I doing wrong? I have another shipment I am picking up this morning from the post office . Please any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I wish none of us HAD to order chicks thru the mail. It just isn't a good idea. My daughter is a Postal Carrier and she hates the whole situation. Dead stinking chicks at the P.O. or in the back of the mail jeeps. She says some carriers don't care and leave the boxes in the back of the jeep where it's cold. She always puts them right up by her in front of the heater if she has to deliver them. Most, of course are supposed to get picked up at the P.O. I've been getting my chicks at Atwoods in Kansas for years. And just this year I discovered they use Ideal hatcheries and they are shipped to the P.O. where they pick them up. I always thought they got them from local hatcheries. I've had good success with them, though.

In Ohio I ordered my Ducklings from Metzer in June. I think a lot of times the time of year they are ordered has a lot to do with their survival. Big temperature swings are hard on these little ones and winter or early spring can make them weaker than usual. I did get two from Rural King last February and they have been just fine. I think ducklings can take more of the cold though than baby chicks.

Would love to be able to pick up my chicks from a hatchery, but so far the closest I can find is Deer Run (4 hrs away) in Frederick, MD. We have family there so a visit would work, but they only sell straight run and DH really doesn't want a roo.

Back
Top Bottom