Mail order chicks for broody hen

DaisyG2317

Crowing
Jul 14, 2020
🌷🌷🌷
My Isa Brown Gracie has gone broody again. The last time she went broody, I was lucky enough to get some fall chicks from my local feed store. This year, due to some losses in my flock, I have allowed her to be a mama again and ordered some chicks for her from Meyer Hatchery that have a hatch date for tomorrow (7-31). I've never ordered chicks to be shipped, so I had a couple questions:

1. Upon arrival, should the chicks be given Sav-a-Chick/GroGel/Ect before putting under Mama Hen, or can I just immediately put them under her?
2. Would it be better to call post office the day before scheduled delivery just so everyone is on same page regarding their arrival? My post office is.... not exactly on top of things, lol.

Thanks!

1) Even if not necessary, it wont hurt to put them in a temporary brooder with food, water containing Sav-a-chick and supplemental heat for a short time before giving them to mom, especially if your outside temps are currently hot and the chicks have been enroute for 2-3 days. Also keep in mind your broody may not bring them out of the nest box immediately, which is another reason to let them eat and drink before giving them to her.

2) Definitely keep in contact with your post office. The times I've ordered hatchery chicks, the tracking info told when they left the hatchery and estimated date of arrival. I never heard another thing, but when I checked at my post office on the day they were supposed to arrive, they had arrived that morn several hours before the post office opened. If I had waited for a call, the chicks might have been there several more hours. Good luck with mom and her adoptee chicks!

1) Even if not necessary, it wont hurt to put them in a temporary brooder with food, water containing Sav-a-chick and supplemental heat for a short time before giving them to mom, especially if your outside temps are currently hot and the chicks have been enroute for 2-3 days. Also keep in mind your broody may not bring them out of the nest box immediately, which is another reason to let them eat and drink before giving them to her.

2) Definitely keep in contact with your post office. The times I've ordered hatchery chicks, the tracking info told when they left the hatchery and estimated date of arrival. I never heard another thing, but when I checked at my post office on the day they were supposed to arrive, they had arrived that morn several hours before the post office opened. If I had waited for a call, the chicks might have been there several more hours. Good luck with mom and her adoptee chicks!
Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom