Ordering ducklings question

BlakeRyan

In the Brooder
Dec 21, 2015
Hi everyone,
We want to order 3 or 4 more ducklings in the spring, since the one we have was the only one who lived out of 8 eggs. He's about a month old and is a swedish blue. I'd like to get the same breeds, which would mean ordering online or from a catalogue. I know nothing about that. Do they come as eggs and I would keep them until they hatched or how does that work?I've never been involved in the hatching process so what would I need and how do I do all of that stuff? Thanks!
-Blake

Hi everyone,
We want to order 3 or 4 more ducklings in the spring, since the one we have was the only one who lived out of 8 eggs. He's about a month old and is a swedish blue. I'd like to get the same breeds, which would mean ordering online or from a catalogue. I know nothing about that. Do they come as eggs and I would keep them until they hatched or how does that work?I've never been involved in the hatching process so what would I need and how do I do all of that stuff? Thanks!
-Blake
If you mention the State that you live in, you might have faster results from the members on this BYC

Welcome to BYC this is a great site to be in.

Holderreads and Metzers are places I've ordered from. Both eggs and live ducklings. They also have have adults. It might be easier to get a duckling locally. But breed specific would be easier from a hatchery. You can order from their websites.

Last edited:
We were going to buy some locally when the local stores got ducklings in in april, but they won't be the same breed we have now, which is kind of what we want.

Really? How do you know? I don't mean that to sound rude or silly, I'm just curious why the only get males in to sell?

They have more males then females because females are more valuable. One Drake can keep up to six ducks laying fertile eggs. Breeders keep more females then males themselves. Also if they do private orders, more ducks tend to be ordered then drakes.

We definitely want at least 2 ducks and 1 or 2 drakes. If the one we have now is a drake, we plan on growing him until ready and then eating him, but we want at leas one drake and one duck to keep as"pets."

Back
Top Bottom