ordering eggs! what should i get?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by cmwhite23, Jul 21, 2011.

1. cmwhite23

cmwhite23 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2011
    I've decided to take the plunge and order some fertiziled eggs to incubate. I plan on getting several breeds. I would i've to hear from you guys as to which breeds u think are best. I currently have a leghorn rooster a cochin pullet and leghorn/cochin mixes.

2. nurseshelly

nurseshelly Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Gilbert AZ
    Quote:If you look under the hatching eggs for sale section, a few people will send a variety of eggs in one box. They will have 8 or 10 breeds to choose from and you can get all one breed, or one or two of each. Shipped eggs don't all hatch though, so if you really want a certain type it would be good to get more than one.

Our most friendly chickens are our Buff Orpington, Black Australorp, and our Silkie hen. We also have a Silver Laced Wyndotte and a Cuckoo Marans that are pretty friendly. Our RIR was good as a young chick, but is pretty flighty now. We also have two Blue Ameraucanas that are 3 months old, and they are a little flighty, but getting more friendly as they get used to their flock and getting treats [​IMG].

Our Serama Bantams are all really friendly and sweet.

It just depends on if you need cold hardy, heat tolerant, lots of eggs, friendly etc ...

3. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    I like Orpingtons, Plymouth Rocks, Marans and Wyandottes. They are good duel purpose birds and good layers. Silkies and Cochin bantams make really good pets too

4. FeatheredObsessions

FeatheredObsessions Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Oregon
    What are you wanting them for? Silkies are wonderful broody Mamas. Polish are fun to watch and look at. Easter Eggs are conversation pieces with their colored eggs. There are so many aspects to them [​IMG]

5. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    Get a little of everything. No better way to find out what you like and don't like.

You do have a plan for what to do with all the cockerels you'll hatch?

6. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Hello! Just remember, if you're in an area that is very hot right now, your eggs might not do well in the post, because they may just cook in this 90 to 100 degree weather.

(Not to discourage you, of course!) I would just hate to see you waste your money.

Think about what qualities you're looking for. Do you want laying hens, or maybe some eye candy types? For laying hens, I think that barred rocks are just awesome, and pretty too. Also the buff orps are great! They have the softest feathers!

Eye candy can be anything fancy! Polish, Cream Brabanters, Maybe a Lavender Orp or Lavender Ameraucana.....They're beautiful....

Or if you want beautiful eggs, the Marans are wonderful.......

Lots to consider! Have fun!

Sharon

7. ourlittleflock

ourlittleflock Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2009
    North Carolina
    banties... nothing but banties

a few cochins, seramas and get some silkies so they can hatch down the road for you.. But I will say my seramas have been more broody than my silkies this year...

but then again some LF make wonderful pets

8. cmwhite23

cmwhite23 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2011
    Yes I do have a plan the roos will be sold at the local auction or given to my neighbor. I was looking to get some good broodies as well as layers.

I live in Pennsylvania so cold tolerance is a must!

9. eeyore75

eeyore75 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Battle Creek, MI
    Quote:So is heat tolerance right now!!!

Go to the for sale section (hatching eggs, chicks, & over 8 week birds- your pick) if you use the drop menu you can select location as a sorting option. I'd recommend picking up eggs at least this week..... honestly til fall to be safe.

There are alot of for sale ones in PA. However- PA is a long drive from one end to the other. Try pm'ing the sellers to see where they are located (or any state within driving distance to you). If you find one near you with birds you like- bid or work out a direct buy if they will do that.

Otherwise you could check craigslist, Hoobly, Ebay, etc. I believe you would do best with birds from BYC first of course [​IMG] But it's ok to use whatever option works best for you during the heat of summer & what you are looking for.

10. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    July may be a month for decreased fertility. Ask anyone you are considering buying from right now, if they are incubatng their own eggs, and what is their fertility rate for eggs that went in this exact weekend. Bid accordingly. Buyer beware. It is not just the PO that is affecting viability of eggs. Roosters sometimes get too pooped to pop in this weather.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by