Ordering feed online

I just looked at/compared all my tags I have collected off of various poultry feeds; starters, growers and layers... they all list soybean meal (which I am assuming is the protein source) as the first or second ingredient.

None of them say meat or bone meal in the ingredient lists, in fact the Purina products say "Ruminant and Bone Meal Free" on the labels
hu.gif
I'm assuming they use soy because it's easier to digest?

That's ok with me tho, I prefer that my keets are NOT eating someone's ground up pet goats and horses
sickbyc.gif

perchie.girl :

Does it keep? I was hesitant about buying a second bag but so delighted to find it I bought one any way. The old feed I have is 26 percent the new feed is 30 percent and its Purena Game bird Startina.

Is the Pheasant Chow with Amprolium called Startena too? The Startena feeds I've used are either non-medicated or have BMD in it. I have not been able to find the Pheasant Chow yet but I'll ask my local Purina dealer today about it.

I think with it being summer the feed will keep just fine, it's when it gets wet/damp that it gets insects and mold issues. You're gonna go thru it fast tho... keets are messy eaters and they waste A LOT. Reel feeders seem to be the most efficient feeders for keets of all ages. They can't bill it out and they can't scratch it out.

BTW... I candled early, tossed a few clears from each batch but still have 55+ eggs developing
big_smile.png

Just seems funny, as Purina Flight Conditioner & Game Bird Layena both had animal protein listed the last time I purchased them. I thought all game bird feed had some sort of animal protein. I would think it would be really important for keets. If I manage to get keets this year, I will be using turkey starter from the feed mill, as they have animal protein in everything. I know their chick starter has porcine & fish meal, but haven't seen their turkey starter yet. So the keets grow OK on all vegetable protein?

Quote:

Yes they grow like weeds on all of the starter feeds that I've used containing 27%-30% protein (soybean meal)

Even the Purina Flock Raiser has soybean meal in it.

Quote:
Is the Pheasant Chow with Amprolium called Startena too? The Startena feeds I've used are either non-medicated or have BMD in it. I have not been able to find the Pheasant Chow yet but I'll ask my local Purina dealer today about it.

I think with it being summer the feed will keep just fine, it's when it gets wet/damp that it gets insects and mold issues. You're gonna go thru it fast tho... keets are messy eaters and they waste A LOT. Reel feeders seem to be the most efficient feeders for keets of all ages. They can't bill it out and they can't scratch it out.

BTW... I candled early, tossed a few clears from each batch but still have 55+ eggs developing
big_smile.png

I dont know about the feed I have the website for the feed store too. I am going to the feed store today to see. They also have something called Mazuri Which I have been reading up on since I am going to be keeping all my chicken poultry in an "avairy/run" environment. Guineas who will be allowed to free range. Its expensive but I am reading that each bird will only need five or six pellets to have complete nutrition and protien. Its like 36 percent and is added to regular feed as a supplement. Being down here by the San Diego Zoo and Wild animal park there are lots of people here who raise exotics. Heck Joan Embry has a place right here in Lakeside.

http://www.doublestackandfeed.com/products/poultry-feed/
http://www.doublestackandfeed.com/products/specialty-exotic/

Yep they are messy OMY GAWD. But I built a brooding cage with a feeding station for Keets. Not only does it keep the feed off the floor of the cage but it keeps the water clean too. The new cage is big enough to handle all the babies. I will have to start a separate thread for our progress. Too excited here....
wee.gif

Quote:
Not all of it. The stuff in my area is usually 27%-28%, depending on the brand. I've also purchased it with only 25% in it in, another brand from a local feed mill.

Last edited:
the stuff I bought is Game Bird Startena Which is 30 percent. The Other stuff I bought is 26 and they are blazing through it. I suspect the higher protien will make them more satisfied and a little less voraceous.

http://wildlife.purinamills.com/products/ECMD2-0017382.aspx

I spoke to the store owner about Mazuri products. Mazuri is a purena product developed for Zoos and people who raise wild animals. There is even a Flamingo chow.... And a gal locally that raises flamingos. Any hoo. The store owner says normally you have to buy a ton at a time but because she gets several different products that she could get me some Mazuri
00ae.png
Exotic Gamebird Maintenance. She is going to call in to her buyer to see how much it will cost.

I just went to the Mazuri site and they will ship directly to you. But I suspect a 40 lb bag is going to cost $$ to ship. So we will see.

Quote:
Supposedly you feed it at a rate of 1:5 or 1:7 mixed in with regular ration and because it is more balanced for insectivores they eat less of it. Here is the discussion at BYC I found on the subject. The discussion is about Ultra vs Mazuri. And some of the people talking have huge credentials.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=423344&p=1

This is a thread by the person that helped devlop Ultra. Definately a biologist and apparently advises zoos on setting up habitats. GORGEOUS pictures too.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=140469

Back
Top Bottom