ORDERING FROM HATTCHERIES

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by marymac, Jul 21, 2008.

1. marymac

marymac Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2008
    Northeast Ohio
    Hi.. I'm a newbie, and am planning to make my first order soon. Does any one have any advice they could share with me about any hattchery they would recomend I stay away from? Thanks:)

2. austinhart123

austinhart123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Los Angeles CA
    ideal has alot of different kinds of breeds, i wouldnt reccomend privett because i was not pleased with their chickens( although they have nice turkeys) wwwidealpoultry.com
    www.mcmurrayhatchery.com are my two favories

Last edited: Jul 21, 2008
  3. Cara

Cara Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    Privett have always been quite rude in my experience, and never reply to e-mails. Avoid Randall-Burkey like the plague; you have to call them to find out when your order ships, you have to call them to make sure they're shipping you everything you ordered, and after going through this what I received wasn't anything like what I ordered. They weren't great at returning calls either.

4. marymac

marymac Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2008
    Northeast Ohio
    Thanks for the replies,,,I probably need to do some more homework.[​IMG]

5. Chicken_Lover4567

Chicken_Lover4567 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2008
    Central Texas
    [​IMG]- Hi! I would recommend Ideal. I have had successful ordering from them, and they ALWAYS reply to my emails. I have heard fairly bad things about Privet, so stay away from that place. Good luck! [​IMG]

6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I got mine from ideal. They tell you the ship date and you call the PO to make sure they call you when they get there. Ideal is one of our sponsors too! Haven't tried MM yet though but they get great reviews too.

7. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Ideal and MM , Welp, and Meyers are all not too bad for a hatchery. Privett I never had any experience with. Xtreme is good too.

Stromsberg, if you want better quality birds, you will pay more for their chicks but they are all the same.

8. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    If in doubt order more chickens. Want 2 docile breeds and can't decide on what to get, order both. Can't decide if you want a rooster or not, I'd hold off, wait for hens to mature and alot of free roosters around. Plus you might get a free packing peanut rooster anyway.

9. houndit

houndit There is no H or F in Orpington!

Jul 13, 2008
    Braymer Missouri
    Hoover hatchery is very small. But we ordered from them. If they have a breed you want I would recomend them. They are extremely low priced, have good quality, answer questions, and are very polite.

10. KLH2010

KLH2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    I have ordered from JM Hatchery and Welp hatchery both. They both have excellent customer service and their birds are really nice.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by