Ordering full size pullets 3 month or older

karlamaria

Songster
8 Years
Jan 30, 2011
Western montana
Has anyone ordered bigger birds, if so where and how did they do ? I'm looking to add a few leghorns to my flock, love there egg laying abilities but it's winter and no one around has any. I have pullets I found several towns over recently and there young, maybe 3/4 months old. I want to add same size leg horns to the lot.
Thanks

This time of the year is probably going to be slim pickins. Keep an eye on your local sales networks (Craigslist, ect), you might get lucky. As for ordering them, I honestly never have. But, my neighbor use to order started pullets every Spring. He'd preorder them from our local co-op and they'd call him to get them at the store when they arrived.
You could also try going to the Where Am I? Where Are You? section of the forum, find your states thread and see if any local BYCers have what you're looking for.

Good luck!

I did. I have 2 New Hampshires, 2 Cuckoo Marans, and 1 EE. I believe they were around 24 weeks old. I am more than satisfied with my girls. It is a spendy way to go, but if you can afford it, do it. It helps eliminate the pullet/rooster guesswork, and, you don't have to worry about setting up a brooder. The only thing I don't like about it is that you don't have nearly as many breed choices.
Hope this helped. Got mine from Murry McMurry hatchery.

Back
Top Bottom