ORDERING LOCALLY raised chicks

krazeepolack

Songster
10 Years
Jul 26, 2009
Randsburg, Ca-live ghost town
I'm almost ready to order my 1st flock of chicks,
jumpy.gif
BUT- I don't seem to be able to locate a source close to me. If possible, I'd prefer to keep costs (S&H) to a minimum. I live about 15 miles South of China Lake Naval Base (Ridgecrest, Ca) @ about the 3500 foot elevation. Any suggestions or names of nearby breeders?

You might want to move this post to breeders and hatcheries- this section is devoted to coops, etc. You will probably get a better response! Good luck!

Craigs List for your locality is also an option, and you could try googling your location with the words "poultry" too. I found a Meetup group as well as a Yahoo group of poultry enthusiasts in my area. You can also search for poultry shows in your area; breeders will congregate there.

We got our chicks from the same fellow we got our doves from; turns out he lives very near to us. Hopped in the car and had our chicks home in less than 15 minutes. Can't beat that.

Can't help you, but my sister and her late husband lived in Ridgecrest. Each ran an antique shop in town.. I've been there once .. Small world!

Their is a hatchery in Lancaster called Redwing Hatchery. I have their birds and they are always good and healthy. Last I checked, they will let you come and pick them up and save shipping and more importantly, "Stress".

Good Luck;)

OK! First, let me apologize for the misposting.
bow.gif
Luckily, this site has some sharp eyed moderators for which we say THANK YOU! I'm sure it's a project not everyone would be capable of doing. W/o these folk's, wing nuts like myself would make far more mistakes. Secondly, thank you for the replies.
frow.gif
Next trip through Lancaster, I will check that site outalso the one in Fresno. I was also a bit concerned about how I've seen chickens transported in the past.(slatted crates open to the air as they travel down the road)
ep.gif

I work at China Lake and I purchased a nice variety of Chicks from the hardware store in Inyokern. All turned out to be hens although one turned out to be a different breed than what I thought it was. All were healthy and may start laying any day now. I can't wait!
fl.gif

I'm new to Ridgecrest area and am trying to find info on backyard chicken laws. Are they allowed in neighborhoods? Or only a specific area of RC? Thanks!

I work at China Lake and I purchased a nice variety of Chicks from the hardware store in Inyokern. All turned out to be hens although one turned out to be a different breed than what I thought it was. All were healthy and may start laying any day now. I can't wait!
fl.gif
I'm very interested in having my own chickens but haven't talked with our landlord yet. In the meantime, I'm looking for a source of soy free / pastured eggs, and would gladly buy from you if you have any eggs to spare!

Back
Top Bottom