Ordering mixed chicks

BackyardAR

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 19, 2010
Malvern
When you order a mix of chicks from a hatchery, and they have roughly the same appearance right out of the shell, does the hatchery do anything to "mark" them so you can tell them apart at first? Or do you have to grow them out a little, then separate them?

I ask because I'm going to be ordering my first chicks soon. Six Pearl-White Leghorns and some CX meaties. I believe those will be all yellow chicks. Should I even worry about separating them at first? I will be feeding medicated broiler starter and I'm unsure how long the layers should be eatting that. I don't want the layers getting trampled by the baby pigs, so I was considering separating the two groups very early.

Ideas? Suggestions?

THe hatchery will probably mark the leghorns with a dot....but even if they don't the meaties would be pretty obvious after the first week or two.
smile.png

My brooder will have dividers in it to allow me to have separate areas if needed. Should I separate them as soon as possible?

It depends. Lots of people on BYC prefer their meaties to get a little more exercise by putting the feed and the water up off the ground and at seperate ends of the brooder. More space = less cannibalism.

Back
Top Bottom