ordering my first chicks this week

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by was a city girl, Mar 19, 2017.

1. was a city girl

was a city girl New Egg

Mar 19, 2017
    Brand new to this whole chicken thing but have been researching it for a while. I am going to be ordering our chicks this week and am looking for suggestions as far as breed. I am in search of a good layer that is also friendly and will do well in the cold, long winters of Maine. We are converting our shed into a coop and have been getting some great ideas from all of you.

2. eggbert420

eggbert420 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2017
    Texas
    :welcome

3. RodNTN

RodNTN Following Jesus

May 22, 2013
    The USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG] I am glad you joined us! A great place to go to if your looking for the right chicken breed:
    https://www.mypetchicken.com/chicken-breeds/which-breed-is-right-for-me.aspx

If you ever have any questions, don't hesitate to ask, or just hop over to the Learning Center:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

And if you want to chat with other chicken lovers near you, just check this forum out:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you

I hope you enjoy BYC, best wishes!

4. vachick15

vachick15 Overrun With Chickens

You have some links already, so I'll just welcome you and hope you have a great time on BYC!

5. dekel18042

dekel18042 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    Welcome, there are many breeds who would fit your requirements. If you like colored eggs, Easter eggers can stand extremes of heat and mine are excellent layers. Buckeyes are good. They're sort of a RIR with a smaller comb. You want to stay away from breeds with bigger combs that can become frostbitten, most of the Mediterranean breeds.
    Chanteclers are excellent cold weather birds but we had some die when it got hot and humid and they did have shade.
    If you go to www.mypetchicken and answer a short questionnaire they will suggest some breeds for your locale and what you want.

6. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greeting from Kansas and [​IMG]! Happy you joined our flock! Good luck to you and your chicken selection!

7. bathound

bathound Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2017
    East Tennessee
    Hello from Tennessee. My wife and I are trying to narrow down our choices on our first chickens. Good luck to you!

8. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Almost any common hatchery bird would be a fine choice. There is no one "best breed." Rocks, Wyandottes, Easter Eggers, Production Reds, Sussex, Delaware, Orpingtons... all good choices and so are the other two or three dozen typical backyard birds I didn't mention just now. My only thought would be to avoid large combed breeds (e.g. Leghorns) as I know Maine is quite cold. Other than that, just pick what catches your eye.

9. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under was a city girl [​IMG] Welcome!

As you have already received some good advice and links to some great starting points, I will just wish you all the best.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock when they arrive, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out [​IMG]

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by