Ordering spring chicks....so much fun. What did you get?

Pics
I find ordering new chicks so much fun. I have a small backyard (front yard) flock and just ordered 4 new chicks for the spring. I am excited to learn what you ordered/plan to order or are excited for the 2023 year. I ordered a salmon faverolle, a bielefeder, a buff orpington and a lakeside egger. What did you get or are planning to get?
I'm starting my flock this spring and am ordering from a local breeding hatchery. They're a bit more expensive than online ordering, but they guarantee pullets and will exchange roos since most towns in my state cannot have roosters.

I am getting Buff Orpingtons, Blue Copper Marans, Midnight Majesty Marans, Prairie Bluebell Eggers, Starlight Green Eggers, and Salmon Faverolles.

I wanted a colorful basket with decent egg production and good temperament since a lot of friends and family are willing to subsidize my chickens by purchasing eggs and eventually produce from the garden. There's also a lot of children in the family/friend group that would love to meet the chickens. I just hope to cover the cost of local feed and I'll be content.

I just received my order from ChickensForBackyards.com. I was very pleased with all aspects of the process through them. I ordered 6 birds and they sent 9 which was a nice treat. The extras are duplicates of what what’s in my order. Shipping notification was received Wednesday at 12 noon. My Post office called me 6:30am this morning (Friday). Shipping was from Missouri to NY. All birds are healthy, eating, and drinking. I have the following:
1 - Rhode Island Red
1 - Buff Orpington
1 - Black Australorp
2 - Silver Laced Wyandotte
2 - Splash Laced Wyandotte
2 - Blue Ameraucana
9 days and all are energetic and healthy! I have them all eating crumble from my hand and have the kids and myself holding them I’m not sure if short wings are an indicator this early but perhaps one Splash Wyandotte could be a rooster if so. Pic added

Attachments

• 2E235BE5-68BD-4537-BE0E-489EFFCD9840.jpeg
    2E235BE5-68BD-4537-BE0E-489EFFCD9840.jpeg
    603.3 KB · Views: 7
  • F714E15D-DFE4-4B46-92A1-31121F318195.jpeg
    F714E15D-DFE4-4B46-92A1-31121F318195.jpeg
    300.8 KB · Views: 7
  • 9E4EC03D-EFE9-4934-9D8A-ED0FF1A08514.jpeg
    9E4EC03D-EFE9-4934-9D8A-ED0FF1A08514.jpeg
    473.4 KB · Views: 7
  • 97E8F65D-B4AC-4B71-925F-830B5567B086.jpeg
    97E8F65D-B4AC-4B71-925F-830B5567B086.jpeg
    471.3 KB · Views: 9
I find ordering new chicks so much fun. I have a small backyard (front yard) flock and just ordered 4 new chicks for the spring. I am excited to learn what you ordered/plan to order or are excited for the 2023 year. I ordered a salmon faverolle, a bielefeder, a buff orpington and a lakeside egger. What did you get or are planning to get?
I received my first chicks ever today! Woohoo!!! It was a stressful few days waiting for them. They were supposed to arrive on Wednesday, according to tracking, and also according to tracking, they were lost… but just arrived the afternoon! I was overjoyed getting that call from the post office!!!
They are from Alchemist Farm, in Sebastopol CA.
4- Azure Eggers (females)
2- French Black Copper Marans
2- Alchemist Blue (females)
3- Moss Eggers (They added an extra Moss Egger chick, in case of casualties)
All chicks came in very much alive. Needed to warm up two chilled chicks on the way home, but they perked right up after getting warm again.
Now they’re all eating like mad! Almost constant munching, with a sun nap in between.
I’m so in love! 🥰🙏🏻
(The one I’m holding up in the picture is one of the Moss Eggers.)

Attachments

• 2F2FB023-DA70-45F5-BAD8-0650D93180F4.jpeg
    2F2FB023-DA70-45F5-BAD8-0650D93180F4.jpeg
    382.3 KB · Views: 9
  • 202B4A9D-E7AD-45F3-98A6-1A69D9D4E6DA.jpeg
    202B4A9D-E7AD-45F3-98A6-1A69D9D4E6DA.jpeg
    328.1 KB · Views: 10
  • 234D3F5E-786A-4AF4-9960-25AD21088E38.jpeg
    234D3F5E-786A-4AF4-9960-25AD21088E38.jpeg
    709.7 KB · Views: 9
I received my first chicks ever today! Woohoo!!! It was a stressful few days waiting for them. They were supposed to arrive on Wednesday, according to tracking, and also according to tracking, they were lost… but just arrived the afternoon! I was overjoyed getting that call from the post office!!!
All chicks came in very much alive. Needed to warm up two chilled chicks on the way home, but they perked right up after getting warm again.
Now they’re all eating like mad! Almost constant munching, with a sun nap in between.
I’m so in love! 🥰🙏🏻
😍

I'm expecting my little flock to arrive probably on the 9th of March. They shipped today from Murray McMurray in Iowa coming here to WV. They are:
  • 5-Black Australorp Female
  • 5-Red Star Female
  • 5-RHODE ISLAND RED Female
  • 5-Whiting True Blue Female
  • 5-Whiting True Green Female
  • 1-Bielefelder - Male
I know it's a lot, I ordered them in November. But they would only sell 25 or more, unless I waited until later. So, it will be an adventure. I'm very excited!

I'm expecting my little flock to arrive probably on the 9th of March. They shipped today from Murray McMurray in Iowa coming here to WV. They are:
  • 5-Black Australorp Female
  • 5-Red Star Female
  • 5-RHODE ISLAND RED Female
  • 5-Whiting True Blue Female
  • 5-Whiting True Green Female
  • 1-Bielefelder - Male
I know it's a lot, I ordered them in November. But they would only sell 25 or more, unless I waited until later. So, it will be an adventure. I'm very excited!
So fun!! I’m excited for you! 😋🙏🏻
I’m trying to keep up with 11 three-week-old chicks! Can’t imagine having more than twice this number. 😳
About to need to put a lid on the large brooder box I put them in a couple days ago. 😆
I love how active & energetic they are. Even pulled a chick out of a leg issue with extra nutrition & chick “physical therapy”. Makes me feel like I’m doing a good job.
It’s my first time, so I’m likely over-babying them… but I accept that.

I’m so in love! 🥰🙏🏻
They are getting so big, so fast since these pictures! They’re now almost a month old & needed a bigger brooder box, after we had our first escapee.
Now there’s potential escapees everyday (when we don’t have the top on, at night).
This one is a French Black Copper Maran, named “Manqué” (Mah-n-ka), who loves to see what I’m up to whenever I’m making up a new batch of mash for them. We play “elevator”, where I let that chick munch on some before the other chicks do… until Manqué steps onto the plate & then I lower the mash & the chick down into the brooder box. Sweet chick. 🥰
They are so much fun!

Attachments

• 81F5E421-8E88-498B-ACC5-DE9F10613BB1.jpeg
    81F5E421-8E88-498B-ACC5-DE9F10613BB1.jpeg
    518.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 2C3CADFD-3F1D-4D09-99A6-4DFC31C6AEC3.jpeg
    2C3CADFD-3F1D-4D09-99A6-4DFC31C6AEC3.jpeg
    529.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 09B73B95-81F5-416A-AC9F-4CEA62B49AC8.jpeg
    09B73B95-81F5-416A-AC9F-4CEA62B49AC8.jpeg
    298 KB · Views: 4
They are getting so big, so fast since these pictures! They’re now almost a month old & needed a bigger brooder box, after we had our first escapee.
Now there’s potential escapees everyday (when we don’t have the top on, at night).
This one is a French Black Copper Maran, named “Manqué” (Mah-n-ka), who loves to see what I’m up to whenever I’m making up a new batch of mash for them. We play “elevator”, where I let that chick munch on some before the other chicks do… until Manqué steps onto the plate & then I lower the mash & the chick down into the brooder box. Sweet chick. 🥰
They are so much fun!
Lol, That one perched on the box has plans. And it starts with "Let's blow this popsicle stand!" They are adorable and funny aren't they?

Back
Top Bottom