Ordering spring chicks....so much fun. What did you get?

Pics

chickykids

Songster
May 25, 2021
I find ordering new chicks so much fun. I have a small backyard (front yard) flock and just ordered 4 new chicks for the spring. I am excited to learn what you ordered/plan to order or are excited for the 2023 year. I ordered a salmon faverolle, a bielefeder, a buff orpington and a lakeside egger. What did you get or are planning to get?

I find ordering new chicks so much fun. I have a small backyard (front yard) flock and just ordered 4 new chicks for the spring. I am excited to learn what you ordered/plan to order or are excited for the 2023 year. I ordered a salmon faverolle, a bielefeder, a buff orpington and a lakeside egger. What did you get or are planning to get?
Today we got a buff Orpington, black Australorp and a barred rock!

My wife and I ordered 16! These will be our first chickens.
We got Barred Rocks, Amerecaunas (Easter Eggers?), Anconas, and one random Chick. A friend told us the Barred Rocks may not be friendly though...

Our friend has Brahma's which are SUPER sweet and docile.
My barred rocks are friendly and follow me around! They can be a little flighty sometimes but for the most part are pretty mellow!

I just received my order from ChickensForBackyards.com. I was very pleased with all aspects of the process through them. I ordered 6 birds and they sent 9 which was a nice treat. The extras are duplicates of what what’s in my order. Shipping notification was received Wednesday at 12 noon. My Post office called me 6:30am this morning (Friday). Shipping was from Missouri to NY. All birds are healthy, eating, and drinking. I have the following:
1 - Rhode Island Red
1 - Buff Orpington
1 - Black Australorp
2 - Silver Laced Wyandotte
2 - Splash Laced Wyandotte
2 - Blue Ameraucana

Attachments

• 025D5C4C-58BC-4A7B-817E-0D53B9723936.jpeg
    025D5C4C-58BC-4A7B-817E-0D53B9723936.jpeg
    571.1 KB · Views: 6
I received my first chicks ever today! Woohoo!!! It was a stressful few days waiting for them. They were supposed to arrive on Wednesday, according to tracking, and also according to tracking, they were lost… but just arrived the afternoon! I was overjoyed getting that call from the post office!!!
They are from Alchemist Farm, in Sebastopol CA.
4- Azure Eggers (females)
2- French Black Copper Marans
2- Alchemist Blue (females)
3- Moss Eggers (They added an extra Moss Egger chick, in case of casualties)
All chicks came in very much alive. Needed to warm up two chilled chicks on the way home, but they perked right up after getting warm again.
Now they’re all eating like mad! Almost constant munching, with a sun nap in between.
I’m so in love! 🥰🙏🏻
(The one I’m holding up in the picture is one of the Moss Eggers.)

Attachments

• 234D3F5E-786A-4AF4-9960-25AD21088E38.jpeg
    234D3F5E-786A-4AF4-9960-25AD21088E38.jpeg
    709.7 KB · Views: 9
  • 202B4A9D-E7AD-45F3-98A6-1A69D9D4E6DA.jpeg
    202B4A9D-E7AD-45F3-98A6-1A69D9D4E6DA.jpeg
    328.1 KB · Views: 10
  • 2F2FB023-DA70-45F5-BAD8-0650D93180F4.jpeg
    2F2FB023-DA70-45F5-BAD8-0650D93180F4.jpeg
    382.3 KB · Views: 9
We ordered from a family-owned feed store we want to support, so their selection is pretty small and they have an order minimum of 6 chicks per breed. We ordered 6 barred rocks and 6 Easter eggers. I would have loved to have a more diverse flock, but it was more important to me to give the local store the business. Maybe in the future when we’re replacing older hens we’ll order a few at a time from Meyer.

Back
Top Bottom