Ordering Stars from Mcmurray?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by J. Jamison, Oct 7, 2008.

1. J. Jamison

J. Jamison Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2008
    NE Arkansas
    Anyone ever ordered red and black stars from mcmurray? I got the black stars in last week and the red stars will be here around the 21st. We want them for the eggs. Do they live up to the hype?! I have heard alot of hype on the RIR too, that they are one of the best egg layers. My local feed store had some of these about a month ago and I bought some of them too. They came from estes hatchery. I have australorps now and they lay every 2-3 days. They lay pretty good, just not consistant. Im kinda new to this chicken stuff so if I just wanted chickens to supply a big family with eggs and maybe sell a few, did I buy the right chicks? Give me your thoughts on what I bought and where they came from if you would. Im excited for these to start laying! Thanks

2. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    I didn't order the same breeds but I did order from McMurray back in March. They correctly sexed 25 of 25 chicks and tossed in 2 free roosters. My buff orpingtons started laying eggs between 18 1/2 and 23 1/2 weeks old. I'm getting about 4 1/2 eggs per week per chicken. Last month I got 136 eggs from my 6 hens.

3. pdpatch

pdpatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2008
    Hastings, Nebraska
    We have 12 red star pullets, they started laying at about 20 weeks. They started small and kept getting larger with every day. So far they have not missed a day after a couple of months of laying. They lay large to almost extra large eggs, 1 egg per day for each pullet.

4. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    i have two black and two red stars from McMurray. they are not of laying age yet, but they are already getting redder in the face than the other pullets.

i have had hybrids before. i could set a clock by their laying habits! that being said, every chicken is different, but hybrids tend to be the choice for consistent laying.

best blessings for tons of delicious eggs and a healthy flock!

throw the gold girls!

5. Henrietta23

Henrietta23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT
    I have two red stars from MM from early last April. They were the first of all my pullets to lay by far and lay about 6 days out of 7. They lay a nice sized brown egg. They are also the friendliest of all my birds and we really enjoy them. I don't know if that means they live up to the hype or not but I'll always have a couple of them!

Last edited: Oct 8, 2008
  6. chickie_momma

chickie_momma Out Of The Brooder

Aug 20, 2008
    I ordered 4 Golden Buffs, red sex links from Meyers....are these the same as red stars??

7. tood

tood Out Of The Brooder

Oct 4, 2008
    I have 1 red star from McMurrayet. She is only 6 weeks so not performing yet. However, she is the sweetest little chick. She loves to be held and petted, so she gets my vote for good chick already. Wish I had ordered more.

8. Shogun99

Shogun99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2008
    Las Cruces, NM
    Earlier this year I ordered 25 Black Stars and received the one freebie that I am convinced is a White Leghorn. They are all good birds, and 2 months old, but the males look more like Barred Rocks than how I envisioned Black Stars to look. Send me an email at [email protected] and I'll send you a picture or two of my Black Stars from Murray McMurray. K?

9. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    If you ordered straight run Black Stars, then Id expect the males to look like barred rocks. I cant remember what the cross is for Black Stars, but I think the hens are barred rocks, in which all the males will be barred and the females will be non barred blacks. Black Stars are sex linked, which make them a hybrid. They will not breed true, if thats what you were thinking.

10. J. Jamison

J. Jamison Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2008
    NE Arkansas
    I ordered 25 black stars and 25 red stars, all pullets. All the RIR's I bought at the feed store are pullets too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by