Ordinances for Raising Chickens in Neighborhood in Woodstock, GA

The Cherokee County zoning ordinance has a whole section devoted to chickens. Here's the scoop:

7.7-24
a. The raising and keeping of livestock for non-commercial purposes (i.e. personal pleasure) shall be allowed in all residential districts on tracts of two (2) acres or more, but limited to one animal per acre except as otherwise allowed herein.
Animal Production (LBCS 9300)

(1) Backyard chickens: The keeping of hens supports a local, sustainable food system by providing an affordable, nutritious food source of fresh eggs. The keeping of hens also provides free nitrogen-rich fertilizer; chemical-free pest control; animal companionship and pleasure; and weed control, among other
notable benefits.

This regulation is intended to make provision for the limited keeping of female chickens (Gallus domesticus), referred to as hens, for the health, convenience and personal enjoyment benefits afforded by such use within single family residential districts provided that:

i. No more than 8 hens are kept on a residential lot as a non-commercial accessory use
(i) Said residential lot must be 20,000 sf or greater
(ii) Residential lots greater than 8 acres may keep one additional hen per every whole acre over 8 acres

ii. No rooster shall be kept upon the property

iii. The slaughter of any hen on site is strictly prohibited.

iv. Hens shall be confined to a fenced enclosure located in backyard only. The enclosure shall be at least twenty five (25) feet from any property lines and fifty (50) feet from residential structures on adjacent properties, and shall enclose an area of not less than 10 sf per hen.

v. Within the fenced enclosure, a well-maintained structure (henceforth referred to as a coop) shall be required for the hens. The coop must be less than 15 feet in height and impermeable to rodents, wild birds, and predators, including dogs and cats, and must contain 2 sf per hen.

vi. The coop and area within the fenced enclosure must be clean and odorfree, kept in a neat and sanitary condition at all times, in a manner that will not disturb the use or enjoyment of neighboring lots due to noise, odor or other adverse impact.

vii. Odors from hens, hen waste, or other hen-related substances shall not be perceptible at the property boundaries.

viii. Provision must be made for the storage and removal of hen droppings and any dead birds. All stored droppings shall be covered by a fully enclosed structure with a roof or lid over the entire structure. All other droppings not used for composting or fertilizing shall be removed. In addition, the coop, enclosure and surrounding area must be kept free from trash and accumulated droppings. Dead hens must be disposed of in a sanitary manner.

ix. Perceptible noise from hens shall not be loud enough at the property boundaries to disturb persons of reasonable sensitivity (2010-Z-002,
10/05/10).

http://www.cherokeega.com/departments/department.cfm?departmentid=38

Now, provided you meet those requirements, you must of course make sure your neighborhood doesn't have an HOA or covenant. Also, if you're within the city limits of Woodstock itself you'll need a six-acre lot:

Sec. 14-2. - Fowl or livestock.
(a)
It shall be unlawful for any owner or person in control of any domestic fowl or livestock to allow that domestic fowl or livestock to run at large within a municipality of the county.
(b)
It shall be unlawful for the owner of any livestock or domestic fowl, or any person having such livestock or fowl in his custody, to allow it to run at large unattended on or about the streets or on the property of another person, without permission of the owner of that property, or of the person in possession of that property.
(c)
It shall be the duty of the owner of any livestock or domestic fowl, or anyone having such livestock or fowl in his possession or custody, to ensure that it is enclosed by way of a fence or other enclosure or is restrained by a chain or leash or in some other physical manner or under control by a competent person so that it cannot wander off the real property limits of the owner, possessor or custodian.
(d)
Any livestock or fowl found at large or unlawfully on the property of another in violation of this section shall be impounded by the city and maintained or released in accordance with regulations approved from time to time by the city council. Livestock shall not include horses. All properties with fowl or livestock that are less than six acres and more than two acres as of the date of adoption of this section are grandfathered in.
(e)
It shall be unlawful for livestock, swine or poultry to be kept for any purpose on a lot in a subdivision or a lot less than six acres in the city limits.
(Code 1989, §§ 11-3-1, 11-3-2, 11-4-6; Ord. No. 04-03-23, 3-23-2004)
Charter reference— Specific power to regulate animals, § 1.12(34).
State law reference— Livestock running at large, O.C.G.A. § 4-3-1 et seq.
http://library.municode.com/HTML/13717/level3/PTIICOOR_CH14AN_ARTIINGE.html#PTIICOOR_CH14AN_ARTIINGE_S14-2FOLI

Good luck!!

Last edited:
This is the way I read it: you can have up to 8 hens on any lot that is 20,000 sq ft or more (that's 0.46 acres) as long as you follow the rules on coop/run size, and location from your property lines.

I believe the one animal per acre provision is for livestock such as horses, goats, etc. There's a special set of rules for "backyard chickens" listed above.

Yep, just make sure you're in Cherokee county and not within the city limits of Woodstock. You can find the zoning of your lot using this:

http://gis.cherokeega.com/

When it loads, go to the upper right hand corner and use the drop-down list to select "county zoning". The areas in white are the city limits. Find your home on the map and zoom in, it will show you your zoning code. If it starts with an "R" it's a residential area.

i know this is an old thread but am thinking about buying land in Cherokee county and hoping someone can clarify:
2 acres to under 8 acres=up to 8 hens
over 8=1 extra chicken per whole acre. ex. 10 acres=10 chickens, 11 acres=11 chickens, etc.

Is that correct? I have 16 chickens so I would need 16 acres?? I might be able to afford 4 acres :(

this is from 2012 maybe its been updated??:fl

Thanks for any info....

i know this is an old thread but am thinking about buying land in Cherokee county and hoping someone can clarify:
2 acres to under 8 acres=up to 8 hens
over 8=1 extra chicken per whole acre. ex. 10 acres=10 chickens, 11 acres=11 chickens, etc.

Is that correct? I have 16 chickens so I would need 16 acres?? I might be able to afford 4 acres :(

this is from 2012 maybe its been updated??:fl

Thanks for any info....
Unfortunately, I have not found any current changes to this ordinance. Maybe something has changed, but I think that it’s unlikely.

Back
Top Bottom