Oregon

so speaking of wish list

it was brought up at one of our 4 h meetings well more like an after meeting with the moms
what chicken would you like to show your self??

many answers though I can only remember one and it was cochins

I said plymouth rocks of the barred variety but I retract that

1. alpenzeller Spitzhauben

OR
2. Houdan...

so just curious what would you all show ?

ps this is an invite to let me know if any oregonians on both sides of the columbia know of any reputable breeders in and around the PacNW.

Cheers!

unless a certain "local" breeder has some squirrley new breed of hen....
tongue2.gif

cause I am down with all that..

just went through that
I called a reliable vet in north portland and his vet tech really didnt know..
I asked if they could call me back if they did have a blood test to rule why my DD little red hen sneezes with no other symptom.
The EE we have has injured her R eye and it foams up now and then the other eye is fine.. so I am still waiting to hear back from the vet

at least now I know that I can call the Oregon vet a OSU.. my flock was already intergrated when my two big girls got wheezy and sneezy 14 days of duramyacin cured that...

best of luck

If you don't want to spend the money to take her to a vet and get a conclusive diagnosis I would not risk your flock, just my opinion...................... While I really like/enjoy my chickens, they are livestock to me and I take a cold hard stance on this one.

Ok, fellow Oregonians. Ive got a Situation. The Barnevelder hen I got last week seems to have an illness. She has a foamy eye. From what i collect it could be anything from just a cold to, eye worms, fungal infection to CRD. Well Ive Medicated her with Duramycin and hit her with some vitamins. We will see how she turns out. The thing is, what keeps coming to my mind, If she does indeed have CRD even if i treat it she will become a carrier and once I integrate her with my flock I will infect them. Then that leaves me and my flock closed for life. No chicks or chickens out of here ever. I couldn't sell a hen knowing she has CRD. But on the other hand she might not have it. Though I really enjoy my chickens and do what I can to help them, I feel like its just a chicken when it comes spending lots of money on one. Basically, do I risk it and put her in with the flock or cull?? Being that I'm new to this, I would really like some input. Don't worry about hurting my feelings. Thanks. Derek BTW, you can see a pic of her in the illness/ disease forum. Titled, "Hen a foamy eye"
ontact

Office of the Dean:
541-737-2098, [email protected]
Admissions:
541-737-2098, [email protected]
Large Animal Services:
541-737-2858, [email protected]
Small Animal Services:
541-737-4812, [email protected]
Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory:
541-737-3261, [email protected]
Department of Biomedical Sciences:
541-737-6532, [email protected]
Department of Clinical Sciences:
541-737-4456
Directions

From I-5, take Exit 228 (the Oregon Hwy. 34/Corvallis-Lebanon Hwy. exit). Turn west toward Corvallis. Go 9.5 miles and turn left at the Hwy. 34 bypass, toward Philomath/Ocean Beaches. Turn right onto SW 15th Street and turn left onto SW Western Blvd. Turn right at SW 30th Street.
Magruder is located on the west side of SW 30th St., between Western Blvd. and Washington Way (Reser Stadium is across from Magruder Hall).
From eastbound on Hwy. 20/34 (Philomath Blvd.), turn left on 35th St., right on Western Blvd., left on 30th St.
If you use electronic mapping guides such as Google, MapQuest or a GPS unit, input "SW 30th Street and SW Western Blvd., Corvallis, Oregon."
Administrative Services

Entrance to the College, administrative services and the auditorium is in the center portion of Magruder where there are two stories of glass.
Large and Small Animal Services

The entrance to both large and small animal services is located at the north end of Magruder. Small animal clients will find parking here, while large animal clients will continue on through the gate to the west side of Magruder Hall.
Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory

The entrance to the Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory is on the south end of Magruder Hall.
Please note: Delivery or courier service to the Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory MUST be addressed to 134 Magruder Hall
Maps

Oregon State University Campus and surrounding area: Interactive Map
map_0.gif
I hope this helps..sounds like you at least have a clean flock and do not have to cull your flock..we have a diffrent story..but either way I am going to email the lab services and ask I will post the answer when I get it​
best of luck..
hugs.gif
signed in the boat thats sinking​

@Barnmaradotte
Ok Just called the OSU vet lab
they do perform blood test for chickens however the vet tech said that she needed a specific order, CRD does not cut it nor any of the cocoidosis(sp) ..
she did give me a name for a vet in Eugene who specializes in poultry
her name is Dr.Luna 541-342-5227...

good luck!

for us what every my girls had they seem to over it..as far as carriers to what? maybe yes no thats why we are looking up blood test..to rule that out..
we just want to make sure that we truly do not have any sick birds that we may bring to a show... I wonder if anybody's chicken have not not had a cold at sometime or another..
the conundrum for us is even if our birds are clean we take them to a show and eh voila your bird has now been exposed to a plethroa of bacteria and illness.. seems kinda ****** if you and ****** if you don't...

steps off soap box

@Barnmaradotte
Ok Just called the OSU vet lab
they do perform blood test for chickens however the vet tech said that she needed a specific order, CRD does not cut it nor any of the cocoidosis(sp)  ..
she did give me a name for a vet in Eugene who specializes in poultry
her name is Dr.Luna 541-342-5227...

good luck!

for us what every my girls had they seem to over it..as far as carriers to what? maybe yes no thats why we are looking up blood test..to rule that out..
we just want to make sure that we truly do not have any sick birds that we may bring to a show... I  wonder if anybody's chicken have not not had a cold at sometime or another..
the conundrum for us is even if our birds are clean we take them to a show and eh voila your bird has now been exposed to a plethroa of bacteria and illness.. seems kinda ****** if you and ****** if you don't...

steps off soap box

I don't know if its true or not, but I heard/ read somewhere that chickens do not get "colds"

Back
Top Bottom