Oregon

no prob! Thank you! And I know I've never dealt with one before.
D.gif
I had one that would eat eggs but I can't remember which one, I gonna guess that it was my Golden Cuckoo that was eating them after my banty cochin laid them fresh! lol

How did you break her

My neighbor suggested that I replace the eggs with either fake easter eggs or golf balls, they will soon realize that the "Eggs" are too hard and eventually give up. Leave only for about a week then you can remove the easter eggs or golf balls and see if she continues or if she has given up. But the tip that she gave that I tried was finding a barely pecked egg and replacing the yolk with English mustard. It worked for me! :)

My neighbor suggested that I replace the eggs with either fake easter eggs or golf balls, they will soon realize that the "Eggs" are too hard and eventually give up. Leave only for about a week then you can remove the easter eggs or golf balls and see if she continues or if she has given up. But the tip that she gave that I tried was finding a barely pecked egg and replacing the yolk with English mustard. It worked for me! :)
I did the latter, but replaced the contents with orange dish soap. The culprit was scrub jays. I feel guilty suspecting my sweet Rose, but I got a wifi camera, installed it in the coop and caught a jay in the act! It had already taught the rest of its family how to do it too. They all got mouthfulls of soap and never did it again, though they still regularly go in and eat the feed, argh.

I did the latter, but replaced the contents with orange dish soap. The culprit was scrub jays. I feel guilty suspecting my sweet Rose, but I got a wifi camera, installed it in the coop and caught a jay in the act! It had already taught the rest of its family how to do it too. They all got mouthfulls of soap and never did it again, though they still regularly go in and eaAw
Aw Jays made Rose look guilty! I'll keep orange dish soap in mind! I have the same problem here with the scrub jays, squirrels, crows, and my in laws puppy. The crows figured out how to get in the coop and steal the eggs and hunt down the small chicken for breakfast :( . Squirrels polished off all of my chickens feed frpm there trough, and the pup figured out how to crawl into my chickens little hole for their coop. So my husband and I broke down and made them a huge coop to keep the creatures out lol Really loved them free ranging tho!

Aw Jays made Rose look guilty! I'll keep orange dish soap in mind! I have the same problem here with the scrub jays, squirrels, crows, and my in laws puppy. The crows figured out how to get in the coop and steal the eggs and hunt down the small chicken for breakfast :( . Squirrels polished off all of my chickens feed frpm there trough, and the pup figured out how to crawl into my chickens little hole for their coop. So my husband and I broke down and made them a huge coop to keep the creatures out lol Really loved them free ranging tho!
Yes, and what's worse, Rose got a full mouth of soap too, but I quickly gave her treats and she forgave me! Here's Rose:

So frustrating that you have all those freeloaders! You could keep the food up during the day and let them free-range, then put the food back down when they are in. The soap (or mustard) may solve the egg-sucking problem. GOOD LUCK

Back
Top Bottom