Oregon

I think I want to get rid of my bantams ... I just really want to streamline things, and some of my bantams are too small to go into the regular flock and it makes me too sad to see them in their cages all the time.
hit.gif

Here is what I have:

1 pair of Sebrights, rooster and hen. She is laying almost every other day. We tried to hatch some of her eggs, and right now they don't seem to be fertile. I don't know if this is seasonal or permanent. They are VERY pretty birds, but not show quality. To be totally honest, he crows ALL night long and can be rather mean. I think he *really* wants to be running around in a veggie garden and will be a lot more mellow once he is.

1 mixed bantam pair: a square white Cochin rooster and a very delicate little Mille Fluer D'Ucle female -- she has the stiff feathers on her feet. Even though he is a little big for her, they have been together for a while now, so I would prefer for them to stay together. He is VERY protective of her. No eggs from her yet. He is actually my favorite bird, one of only two birds I personally picked out for my flock. She is my boyfriend's favorite bird. It will be sad to part with them. But I want them to be somewhere they can run around outdoors and have a more natural life than I'm prepared to offer him here right now.

1 mixed bantam pair: I have no clue what these are, and am not up on colors/feathers and such, but both are feather legged. He is probably some kind of Old English Game as he is rather upright, she is small-ish, almost rumpless, kind of round, gray, and has pheasant-like feathers.

If anyone is interested I will do my best to get some decent photos posted.

With the exception of the Sebrights which we got off of Craig's List and are supposedly a few months older, these birds are from late Spring 2012.

Note, I am Southwest of Portland. Please contact me with any questions. I'm eager to find loving "forever" homes for these birds.

I think you may have caught it already. And I must warn you, it is permanent and the symptoms/results only get worse! They are adorable, congrats :)

I've been feeling symptomatic lately, as well. My symptoms include looking at Silkies and other broody hens in a different light, justifying in my mind that chicks don't count in my cities 5 hen limit and I have a persistent chuckle when I realize you do not need a rooster to get chicks.
yesss.gif

I'm feeling lucky that mine (5), don't start until 4:30 am. I think my hens actually make more noise with their egg song than the boys. I wouldn't mind getting rid of the cheerleader, she goes all day long in the coop.

I have a few more than five roosters and they start crowing around 5AM, sometimes sooner, but they do start crowing as soon as I let the dogs out of the house anytime after 5AM. I'm not consistent in getting out of bed! LOL!! I am looking forward to the time leaping forward so that they aren't crowing as early!

Hello all :) I am new here (and new to chickens!). I am currently trying to get some chickens to raise for meat, as well as some nice hens for eggs. I am really trying to buy chicks that come from a good humane hatchery. One that doesn't kill off all the males or produce on a massive scale. Are there any places like this here in Oregon? A big part of my decision to raise my own meat is the fact that industrial chicken farms treat their birds horrendously. Please don't be offended, this is just my personal outlook on the issue. Any suggestions for where to get some red ranger chicks? Has anyone bought from Petes Oregon Peeps Unlimited in Estacada before?

Back
Top Bottom