Oregon

After running out of chick feed, I switched the Cochins to flock raiser since it took them only a week (with other breeds of chicks) to finish off a bag of 25 pound chick starter. Is it okay that I switched them? They are 13 weeks old today.

I
After running out of chick feed, I switched the Cochins to flock raiser since it took them only a week (with other breeds of chicks) to finish off a bag of 25 pound chick starter. Is it okay that I switched them? They are 13 weeks old today.
I don't feed chick starter at all. They get flock raiser from day one. I do fermented feed, but you can get water it down to oatmeal consistency. I also provide chick grit from day one. All chicks have done fine this way. On my 4th group of chicks now

I
I don't feed chick starter at all. They get flock raiser from day one. I do fermented feed, but you can get water it down to oatmeal consistency. I also provide chick grit from day one. All chicks have done fine this way. On my 4th group of chicks now
I also just feed Purina flock raiser or Payback All purpose poultry crumbles. I can't tell you which group of chicks I am on
hide.gif

Quote: Yrs ago we had a chick that would peck at her feathers and ate 2 or 3 she ended up having a blockage that made the liquid poop come out but the harder stuff stay in THE feathers my vet told me to enjoy handed and a syringe and Saline solution to help loosed up the hard stuff it worked i was just asking i do nto know how old your baby is
and this is A dangerous thing to do as you can not go too deep or you rupture your chick . was just asking

The phrase rupture your chick makes me think that I won't be going that route. yikes! She seems to be doing well. Eating drinking and pooping. The A&D look sto be getting her bum some relief too. I hoping the worst has passed. she's a bit smaller than her peeps though. Still obsessively checking her. I will let you guys know how it goes!

The phrase rupture your chick makes me think that I won't be going that route. yikes! She seems to be doing well. Eating drinking and pooping. The A&D look sto be getting her bum some relief too. I hoping the worst has passed. she's a bit smaller than her peeps though. Still obsessively checking her. I will let you guys know how it goes!
You might want to limit handling her to a few time a day, it will help reduce her over all stress.

You might want to limit handling her to a few time a day, it will help reduce her over all stress.
Yeah no I thought of that too. I am only visually inspecting in the morning and I work away from home during the day. I'm touching her tail up at night, but checking in on her at night before bed. I'm trying to watch her interactions and if she's eating. How the other chicks are treating her etc. I'm trying to keep the temp just right too so that she doesn't get dehydrated. Thanks!!

Howdy! I'm in Clackamas and am getting Australorp chicks May 19. I love this site! I've been lurking for several weeks.

Does anyone close by have a heat lamp I could borrow? I'm super careful and would be grateful to trade chocolate chip cookies for the favor...

Howdy!  I'm in Clackamas and am getting Australorp chicks May 19.  I love this site!  I've been lurking for several weeks.

Does anyone close by have a heat lamp I could borrow?  I'm super careful and would be grateful to trade chocolate chip cookies for the favor...

Hey Shelley I'm new too and frequently lurk, just starting to reply on some threads it's been fun. I'm too far to help with lamp

Back
Top Bottom