Oregon

I have a question.. When are the chicks ready for pullet feed instead of chick feed? My four little girls are 5 weeks old They were doing great and I changed them to the pullet feed so they will grow slower, they're layer's and I expect to have them when they are old Lady's. But they don't eat nearly as much food now... is it to large? I haven't had chickens in many years and I always had hen to raise chicks... I'm so excited to have them again!!
Judy

I have a question.. When are the chicks ready for pullet feed instead of chick feed? My four little girls are 5 weeks old They were doing great and I changed them to the pullet feed so they will grow slower, they're layer's and I expect to have them when they are old Lady's. But they don't eat nearly as much food now... is it to large? I haven't had chickens in many years and I always had hen to raise chicks... I'm so excited to have them again!!
Judy

By pullet feed do you mean layer feed? That has too much calcium for birds younger than around 14 weeks. I never feed chick or layer. I only feed Flock Raiser. I offer oyster shell free choice when they are old enough. Plus it makes it safer when you have mixed ages in the flock. I have chicks to adults in the flock.

Judy
I do what's cheapest. Chick starter up until the move into the "big yard" which is about 11 weeks. Then they are offered layer pellets. I looked into doing all flock raiser to make it easier but around here it's $2-3 more a bag. which adds up quickly!

Judy
Myself I raise my chicks on medicated chick starter until they are almost POL. Actually they normally get switched when they get put in with the layer flock. I feed all of my adult birds Flock raiser free choice and free choice oyster shell.

Quote:
Like Chicken Rustler says, it cost nothing to get in, but will cost to get out
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom