Oregon

Hello Oregon,

I was contemplating my chickens for next spring, and was wanting to ask a few questions of the folks here at large.

Is there a store around SE Port, Oregon city or someplace that sells cornishX in batches of 10?
Years ago there was a farm store on beavercreek rd close to less Schawbs. It ain't there now. When it was there, I got some cornish from them, I think it was 25 if I remember correctly.

Where dose one get those nasty little guys nowadays? Anyone know what month they become available? (also, how much do chicks cost in groups of 10?)

In other news, one of my silkies finely started laying eggs. She laid for about 3 weeks and then went broody. I couldn't find any sexlink hatching eggs, so I put about 10 quail eggs under her. They are due to hatch an Oct 3rd. We'll see how that turns out.

Thanks for the help. Mike

Hello Oregon,

I was contemplating my chickens for next spring, and was wanting to ask a few questions of the folks here at large.

Is there a store around SE Port, Oregon city or someplace that sells cornishX in batches of 10?
Years ago there was a farm store on beavercreek rd close to less Schawbs. It ain't there now. When it was there, I got some cornish from them, I think it was 25 if I remember correctly.

Where dose one get those nasty little guys nowadays? Anyone know what month they become available? (also, how much do chicks cost in groups of 10?)

In other news, one of my silkies finely started laying eggs. She laid for about 3 weeks and then went broody. I couldn't find any sexlink hatching eggs, so I put about 10 quail eggs under her. They are due to hatch an Oct 3[SUP]rd[/SUP]. We'll see how that turns out.

Thanks for the help. Mike
If you wait until Spring you can get them at Wilco stores. You can get 5 for free with each 50 lb bag of Purina Flock Raiser feed. I'm not sure if there is a limit.

Just wondering what everyone here in Oregon does to get ready for our winter rain and wind. I'm on the coast and this is my first winter having chickens. So far we have put up 2 wooden panels with plastic under the hen house to give the girls some added shelter and added the camo roof to their coop to help keep the rain out.

I use clear tarps for top and sides of the 12 x 12 soon to be 24 x24 Dog kennel . Keeps them dry and warm Yet days like today i bet they would of been scared of the noise

I use clear tarps for top and sides of the 12 x 12 soon to be 24 x24 Dog kennel . Keeps them dry and warm Yet days like today i bet they would of been scared of the noise
I know what you mean. Today I walked by my with an umbrella and it hit the top of their hen house. You would have thought they were under attach. They all came running out of their coop into the run and looked at me like what's you doing to us man.

If you wait until Spring you can get them at Wilco stores. You can get 5 for free with each 50 lb bag of Purina Flock Raiser feed. I'm not sure if there is a limit.

Thank you Leslie,

I'll be needing 200lbs of feed for em anyway, so maybe that would work out good for me.
Any idea what month the classify as spring?

We have Grange's rather than Wilco's down here. They start getting chicks in in March. You could ask who is in charge of ordering the chicks and they may be able to special order some for you. Down here you could ask for a specific date to pick them up. We only have the free chick days twice during the year.

Thank you Leslie,

I'll be needing 200lbs of feed for em anyway, so maybe that would work out good for me.
Any idea what month the classify as spring?

I think the Newberg Wilco did it this year in March ... toward the end of the month. But certainly if you call and ask for the chick person they should be able to tell you when they do it. They start getting chicks in February and keep a variety coming through until April, then they take a few months off and have them again for a month in September. You can always do a special order, but the "free chick" deal (it's only the Cornish X) is sweet unless you want to feed them something besides Purina Flock Raiser.

The girls weathered through the first day of our big wind and rain just fine. It seems to be coming early this year. Their hen house was nice and dry this morning when I let them out. And the plastic panels are working great yesterday. Not sure how many inches of rain we got yesterday but there was a coffee cup left outside and it was full this morning. Was empty yesterday morning. In for a few more day of this stuff here on the coast.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom